Windows 7 using 3.9GB of RAM on idle

Thunderbolt 2864

Generally speaking, the RAM is there so that the OS can use it. :whistle:

Windows 7 is (or thinks it is ;)) a "smart" OS and will use as much RAM as it thinks fit, proportionally to the total amount available.

If you take one or two sticks of RAM off the board, it will idle at less, if you add some, it will idle at more, very roughly at 30% of available RAM:

http://www.msfn.org/board/windows-7-all-hy...79-page-25.html

As MS would put it , it is "by design".

jaclaz

Run resmon to see what the RAM is actually "doing". You'll see whether or not it's actively in use, on the standby list (idle pages that are marked as paged, but not paged to disk yet because load doesn't require it), and actual "free" memory. In general, there should be no "free" memory (this is normal) due to Windows 7's caching, and the standby and in use pages will probably be the bulk of what is "used". The modified list is simply pages that have been modifed, but haven't been used in a time and are no longer counted against the process working set of the process that created the allocations - these are similar to pages on the standby list.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's similar to XP's superfetch, but rather than just align load orders on disk, it does a lazy preload of binaries that get used the most on the box as you use it, and it adjusts itself as necessary as you go.

Yes, it's similar to XP's superfetch, but rather than just align load orders on disk, it does a lazy preload of binaries that get used the most on the box as you use it, and it adjusts itself as necessary as you go.

That explains why I am faster now, than when I installed 7 (back when it released). I don't use many apps and it really helps. Not like a quad core needs help, but you can enjoy the speed increase! :thumbup