Can WIN2003 boot on 64K clusters?

spinjector

Ok either I'm not understanding the syntax of the ATTRIBUTES VOLUME command, or I've found a bug in DISKPART.

If I do this, either by script or typing in the commands at the prompt...

SELECT VOLUME 2
ATTRIBUTES VOLUME SET HIDDEN

...it hides ALL the partitions at the same time..!!!

And if I do this...

SELECT VOLUME 2
ATTRIBUTES VOLUME CLEAR HIDDEN

...it UNHIDES them all...!!!

Am I losing my mind...? :huh:

I'm assuming you're running these manually - after you SEL VOL 2, run LIST PART to see what partitions it thinks are on volume 2. I'm guessing it'll be all of them.

Nope. No matter what I do, Diskpart is hiding/unhiding ALL of the partitions/volumes at the same time as one group.

Either I'm missing some fundamental concept or command, or something is goofy in my setup.

I've copied/pasted the entire sequence below.

I typed all my commands in lowercase so they could be differentiated better.

Towards the end, you'll see the hide/list and everything is hidden, then unhide/list and everything is unhidden. Arrrghh!!!

N:\>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.0.6000
Copyright (C) 1999-2007 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: MININT-64IFCHO

DISKPART> select disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 Primary 63 MB 1024 KB
Partition 2 Primary 16 GB 64 MB
Partition 3 Primary 7552 MB 18 GB
Partition 4 Primary 656 GB 27 GB

DISKPART> select partition 1

Partition 1 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
Volume 0 M CD_ROM CDFS DVD-ROM 189 MB Healthy
* Volume 1 DELLUTIL FAT Partition 63 MB Healthy
Volume 2 C WINDOWS NTFS Partition 16 GB Healthy
Volume 3 D SWAPFILE NTFS Partition 7552 MB Healthy
Volume 4 E DATA NTFS Partition 656 GB Healthy
Volume 5 N USBDRIVE FAT32 Removable 1937 MB Healthy

DISKPART> attributes volume set hidden

Volume attributes set successfully.

DISKPART> list volume

* Volume 1 DELLUTIL FAT Partition 63 MB Healthy Hidden
Volume 2 WINDOWS NTFS Partition 16 GB Healthy Hidden
Volume 3 SWAPFILE NTFS Partition 7552 MB Healthy Hidden
Volume 4 DATA NTFS Partition 656 GB Healthy Hidden

DISKPART> attributes volume clear hidden

Volume attributes cleared successfully.

DISKPART> list volume

* Volume 1 DELLUTIL FAT Partition 63 MB Healthy
Volume 2 C WINDOWS NTFS Partition 16 GB Healthy
Volume 3 D SWAPFILE NTFS Partition 7552 MB Healthy
Volume 4 E DATA NTFS Partition 656 GB Healthy

DISKPART> exit

Leaving DiskPart...

N:\>

You haven't run a select command on a volume - so it's hiding ALL fixed volumes. It's doing what you told it to do.

Volume 1 is selected by default when SEL PART 1 is issued.

In fact, it states in the documentation, that if you SEL VOL X, it automatically selects the disk & partition that volume is on.

If you look just before the SET HIDDEN, under LIST VOL, there is an asterisk next to Volume 1 to indicate it's selected.

I also thought the same thing, and I tried various combinations of SELECT commands to make certain the right object was selected. But the outcome was the same every time.

Well, then I have no idea ;). I've never had that happen to me before, but I'm not running diskpart on W2K3 anymore so it's possible you've found a bug. What's not likely is that if you found one they'd fix it unless you could repro it against 2008 or 2008 R2 ;).

Well what a couple of weeks this has been. After pulling my hair out for many days, fighting a battle I couldn't win with Microsoft & 3rd-party programs & utilities that absolutely would NOT put my partitions where I wanted them, I gave up.

And then I wrote my own. =-)

Well sorta... I used DSFO to export my MBR to a file, and then attacked it with an Excel spreadsheet. It's taken me a week of 12-hour days to learn the bytes of the MBR, and then adding formulas, VBA, and conditional formats to my spreadsheet. What I end up with is an MBR the way I want it, which I then write back to the server with DSFI.

I just cranked up Easeus Partition Manager, which recognized the partitions immediately with no fuss, and was able to format them - also with no fuss. I then checked all of the partition properties to check the cluster positions, and they're all spot-on to what I set them to.

This afternoon I've been struggling with installing Windows 2003. Text mode setup doesn't like something on this box and it always locks up at the "Setup is checking your system configuration...". I've tried every fix I've seen mentioned and none have worked so far, but I'm still working on it.

Well what a couple of weeks this has been. After pulling my hair out for many days, fighting a battle I couldn't win with Microsoft & 3rd-party programs & utilities that absolutely would NOT put my partitions where I wanted them, I gave up.

And then I wrote my own. =-)

Well sorta... I used DSFO to export my MBR to a file, and then attacked it with an Excel spreadsheet. It's taken me a week of 12-hour days to learn the bytes of the MBR, and then adding formulas, VBA, and conditional formats to my spreadsheet. What I end up with is an MBR the way I want it, which I then write back to the server with DSFI.

I just cranked up Easeus Partition Manager, which recognized the partitions immediately with no fuss, and was able to format them - also with no fuss. I then checked all of the partition properties to check the cluster positions, and they're all spot-on to what I set them to.

This afternoon I've been struggling with installing Windows 2003. Text mode setup doesn't like something on this box and it always locks up at the "Setup is checking your system configuration...". I've tried every fix I've seen mentioned and none have worked so far, but I'm still working on it.

Well, just in case:

MBRBATCH

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3191

CHS<->LBA spreadsheets:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=2959

(no VBA used as to make them "work" on "any" spreadsheet app)

jaclaz