Explorer.exe - Application Error

Minwingo

Hi, I don't know much about computers, so please try to keep it simple :D

My operating system is Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (or 3...)

Everything is normal. When I log in everything looks fine, I see my desktop, All my shortcut icons and everything.

However when I try to run a program or open up ANYTHING, the following error occurs:

"The exception Privileged instruction. (0xc0000096) occurred in the application at location 0x01a032c2. Click OK to terminate the program. Click on CANCEL to debug the program"

The last thing I was doing was on the internet (more specific Facebook -_-) I did not download anythingn for the past 2 months before this error happens, and I barely use my computer. Nobody in my family use it much either.

More specific: Shortcuts wont work, everytime I try to run a shortcut, this error pops up. Start menu works though. But when I am at the start menu, everything is the same, I cant load Control Panel, My documents, Anything. HOWEVER! I can run the "run" and browse through my computer but still cannot do anything (Start -> Run). Thanks to this, I was able to back up by using copy and paste. Those works. its just that this problem does not let me open up anything except for the Start -> Run command. I cant even use the Run program to Open up A program its all same. However I just can right click and copy and paste. Thats about it.

Help?

-_-

-From

Minwingo

Use System Restore. Pick a restore point from before the errors started.
To use System Restore to restore Windows XP to a previous state, follow these steps:

1. Log on to Windows as Administrator.

2. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. System Restore starts.

3. On the Welcome to System Restore page, click Restore my computer to an earlier time (if it is not already selected), and then click Next.

4. On the Select a Restore Point page, click the most recent system restore point in the On this list, click a restore point list, and then click Next.

Note A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click OK.

5. On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click Next. System Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restarts the computer.

6. Log on to the computer as Administrator. The System Restore Restoration Complete page is displayed.

7. Click OK.

Find the link in your start menu, or here is the direct link if you cannot.

%systemroot%\system32\rstrui.exe

Haha the funny thing is I already done this procedure 2x T_T Thx though...

Get a crash dump of explorer.exe using adplus, then ZIP and upload the resulting 2nd chance .dmp file somewhere we can access.

Hello,

Unfortunently is this procedure possible? I cant even open up Command-Prompt or install or uninstall anything on the computer that is having problems with... Or maybe I read the instructions wrong? I'll try but it wont work... nothing would work, except the copy and paste program.. Lol even my friend got p***ed off when he couldn't do anything. But I'll try.

Thanks.

If you cannot even open up a cmd prompt from task manager (or open task manager itself), consider booting into safe mode and see if things work there. Otherwise, yes, an XP repair is probably the only other reasonable option you have short of a complete reformat and reinstall.

If you cannot even open up a cmd prompt from task manager (or open task manager itself), consider booting into safe mode and see if things work there. Otherwise, yes, an XP repair is probably the only other reasonable option you have short of a complete reformat and reinstall.

Thanks so much for the info

But I'm downloading the debugger right now and gonna test if I can actually do the memory dump, I have some knowledge around with the computer. If that fails I guess its the XP repair?

But doesnt that require the Windows XP CD? I dont have one of those TT

Well doesnt this suck... I cant Install Debugger and I still cant open up CMD.

So I guess next is XP Repair? But like I said doesnt that require the Window's XP CD? Or I can get one somewhere legally free on the internet (joking...)? :D lol... Help?

Hi there!!! Hope this will work for you.

1. Put your windows cd onto your cd/dvd drive.

2. Hit Start>Run> type in "sfc /scannow" without the quotas and wait to finish. Then after completion give a restart and try to run the applications.

If still doesn't work, post here. I'll do the best to help you on this.