I don't use Internet Explorer, do I still need to update it

galahs

you would think Microsoft would have learnt and in Windows 7 made Internet Explorer a stand alone application.

Internet Explorer is a standalone application since Windows Vista ;) Explorer and Internet Explorer are now 2 applications which are not mixed. And with Windows 7 MS moved the IE into an own Package, where you can configure (enable, disable, remove) IE.

you would think Microsoft would have learnt and in Windows 7 made Internet Explorer a stand alone application.

Internet Explorer is a standalone application since Windows Vista ;) Explorer and Internet Explorer are now 2 applications which are not mixed. And with Windows 7 MS moved the IE into an own Package, where you can configure (enable, disable, remove) IE.

So I can remove Internet Explorer from Windows 7 so I will forever be safe from any virus design to attack Microsofts browser?

Edited by galahs

Just for the record:

http://blogs.technet.com/srd/archive/2010/...nerability.aspx

Some older suggestions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/276369/en-us

If you are running a version of Internet Explorer 5.5, Microsoft recommends that you upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer 6. For more information about how to obtain the latest version of Internet Explorer 6

http://securitytracker.com/alerts/2006/Jan/1015453.html

Microsoft recommends upgrading to Internet Explorer 6 SP1 (which is not affected) if you are using Windows 2000 SP4 or Windows Millennium Edition.

And the question, ;):

By NOT following MS advice and by NOT upgrading at the time my 2K boxes to IE6 did I do a smart thing? :unsure:

jaclaz

@syobon999

wrong! You don't understand the impact of DEP, ASLR, Protected Mode to secure IE. IE7/8 are much more secure than Firefox on NT6.x when Protected Mode is on.

@galahs

no, you can only remove the application, the Trident HTML Engine is still included, so that applications can still use them.

Edited by MagicAndre1981

I don't use IE very often. I have it on my computer for using Maxthon. And I know that it is related to Yahoo Messsenger too. I also have Firefox, but only use it for certain sites. My sister chooses IE and knows nothing about other browsers. She thinks it's the best! How funny!

Dencorso,

Why don't you use IE8 on XP?

Interesting link. Here a quote: "According to the Vista license, Microsoft claims the right to run spyware that makes clandestine online contact".

I would fully trust Microsoft that they would not pass on whatever I am doing on my computer to US government spy agencies. I would fully trust that the NSA spy agency has better things to do than collecting 1TB of individual data on each inhabitant of this earth. But maybe the German and French government authorities do not have this trust.

Maybe the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Security_Agency can be interpreted incorrectly: "In 2006, the Baltimore Sun reported that the NSA was at risk of electrical overload because of insufficient internal electrical infrastructure at Fort Meade to support the amount of equipment being installed."

"Development [of Windows Vista] was completed on November 8, 2006... On January 30, 2007, it was released worldwide." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista I would trust that this proximity in time is just coincidental.

Edited by Multibooter

Dencorso,

Why don't you use IE8 on XP?

Why would I? IE7 and Office 97 can do all I need them to. I upgrade only when unavoidable.

In the case of IE7 vs IE8, IE8 is a faster, more secure and better browser. It would be like me saying nah I don't need that free copy of Windows 7 when there is a free copy of Vista I use that does everything I need it too (assuming Vista and 7 came out free :P )

Edited by Zenskas

Why would I? IE7 and Office 97 can do all I need them to. I upgrade only when unavoidable.
Dencorso,

I simply think IE8 is newer, more updated, so it is better than IE7. I'm a little curious, have you ever tried IE8?

As for Office 97, of course we choose to use what we feel like the most. But when you have a file from Office 2003 or 2007 and want to open it, I don't think Office 97 can do it for you. I myself don't try to use all the newest applications. But if something is important and needs updating, and my computer meets the system requirements, I won't refuse to use the newer.

Ah, the link from post 23 leads to a so long reading!

Edited by Aloha

I'm a little curious, have you ever tried IE8?
No. I use IE6 on 98SE and IE7 on XPSP3. It took me long to make IE7 feel and look right to my tastes.
But when you have a file from Office 2003 or 2007 and want to open it, I don't think Office 97 can do it for you.
Yes, it can. It accepts the MS Office 2007 Compatibility Pack gracefully and then can tackle even the latest formats. See my thread about it here.

See my thread about it here.
Cool! Maybe I missed the thread when I didn't come to the forum often to read the posts. I nearly forget how Office 97 looks like! I have used Office 2003 on XP for a long time. Office 2007 was installed just a few months ago. I didn't like it at first. I find it OK now.

Sorry I am talking about IE again! If you can stand IE7 then surely you can use IE8, Dencorso. They look nearly the same.