Dynamic Disk Error

LG-Music

Hello. I had an old computer with two Hard Disks. One is for System © and the other is for Data (D). Hard Disk D was a Dynamic Disk with one volume, 40GB. I bought a new motherboard with new CPU. After installing all these and one of the HDs ©, I installed new Windows Xp. Until now, everything is OK. Then I installed other HD (D) and pressed on the [import Foreign Disk] in the Disk Management Program. After that I saw drive (D) with all contents on it. Later my computer goes to Stand-By mode and when it came back I couldn’t see the contents of HD (D). In Disk Management Program it says that the disk is Dynamic Online, but it is not an NTFS file system. When I click in My Computer on drive (D) it says, that drive is unreadable or unknown. I tried many ways to correct this problem, but nothing helps. Please Help. Thanks.

Scandisk with?

Chkdsk?

SYstem restore?

Have you tried to convert the drive to NTFS?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q308424

Great article above for doing what you did, this article should be strictly adhered to in order to prevent damage, corruption etc..

If none of that helps, post again and I shall delve further into your issue,

sincerely

Big Booger

FUrther

unreadable disk dynamic or basic:

The disk is not accessible. The disk may have experienced hardware failure, corruption, or I/O errors. The disk's copy of the system's disk configuration database may be corrupted. An error icon appears on disks that display the Unreadable status. Both dynamic and basic disks display the Unreadable status.

Disks may display the Unreadable status while they are spinning up or when Disk Management is rescanning all of the disks on the system. In some cases, an unreadable disk has failed and is not recoverable. For dynamic disks, the Unreadable status usually results from corruption or I/O errors on part of the disk, rather than failure of the entire disk. You can rescan the disks (using the Rescan Disks command) or reboot the computer to see if the disk status changes.

SOunds like you need to reformat in the event nothing else works. Pop in a Bootdisk and take the road of formation

Again if all else fails.

BB

Hi. Thanks for reply.

I read all esues from Microsoft. I dont want to damage the disk. (write on it). I found some software caled R-Studio. Maybe this program will help me to recover some information.

If you have some other ideas, I am opened for listening.

Scandisk and chkdsk will not work because the disk is unknow.

It dows not know if what type of FAT it has.

It's like RAW data. When you ckick on drive properties it shows in File System = RAW.

Thanks anyway.

same EXACT thing happened to me! i had c: which was 60 gigs (windows and installed programs) and d: which was 100 gigs (all of my goodies :)) after i formatted c, the d drive would show up in the device manager but it wouldn't show up in explorer and of course was inaccessible.

i tried all i could to save the 70-some-odd gigs of stuff on the drive, but to no avail. the drive was neither fat32 nor ntfs. i even tried to convert it to one of those formats in partition magic but again, no luck.

i'm afraid to say that i think you'll wind up formatting, but don't jump the gun! let's see if one of our resident geniuses has a solution first.

good luck lg

I had almost the same issue....My problem was when i partitioned with Partition Magic it didnt assign a drive letter to my " Dowloads" partition..Once i opened Part Magic and assigned a letter to it everything came out just peachy.....:blueteam

• 6 years later...

Hi All.

Try using TestDisk from cgsecurity.com at :

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

I faced similar probem and got if fixed using TestDisk.

It fixed the partition table and got the problem sorted in no time without using losing any data.

What I like with it is that it is lightweight, easy to use and efficient.

It is worth having a look.

Hope it helps.

Hi All.

Try using TestDisk from cgsecurity.com at :

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

I faced similar probem and got if fixed using TestDisk.

It fixed the partition table and got the problem sorted in no time without using losing any data.

What I like with it is that it is lightweight, easy to use and efficient.

It is worth having a look.

Hope it helps.