My wifi died shortly after migration to W7

hiimcliff

Okay I'm not sure what's going on but I'm really frustrated now. My wifi died shortly after migration to Windows 7. It was working under Windows XP for months and Windows 7 for a week or so and out of the blue I cannot connect to my wireless networks. I am now using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit edition. All my other drivers work except for the USB wifi. I've uninstalled the driver and tried drivers from the VIA site. I've also tried the driver that Windows update provided. I've also tried the Windows 7 64 bit driver from the Zotac site which for some reason never installed because it said the platform wasn't supported. I've tried to use the Vista 64 bit driver and that didn't work also.

Let me be more specific; when I say that the drivers don't work I don't mean that don't function. All of the drivers except the Zotac Win 7 64 bit driver installed without a hiccup but they don't connect to my wireless router. If in the case they do connect, I'd get an ip address but no network traffic. I have other items connected wirelessly to that router. My iPod, my Wii, etc. All are connected the only thing that doesn't work is this USB WLAN card. I've power cycled the router numerous times. I've even tried the "netsh winsock reset catalog" trick with no luck.

I'm convinced the problem is the WLAN card. Could it be that it just died? Something else strange is that WLAN card now says "VIA Technologies USB Wireless LAN Adapter #3". Even after I completely uninstalled the driver each time. Is there some inconsistency in the registry causing it to name it #3?

I've updated the BIOS to the latest version and still no luck. I really would like to try everything before I RMA the entire board for this issue. Can anyone help?

• 1 month later...

I had 7-rc up and had similar results. Worked for a while, then stopped. Re-boot and it would work again for a while. This was the same hardware that I had used to download the 7 release candidate with no problem. But it would not work reliably under 7.

I gave up, and went back to XP MCE.

tom

ok not too sure wether in relation to myself but ive been running 7 now for a few weeks and ive had no trouble with wireless network until when i woke this morning i had no internet...my son did upstairs thru his and all other devices in house seemed to work ok ..but mine said..'default gateway unavailable'...ive tried the usual turn all of reboot etc but still no joy....i was hoping yo ugot a fix and could assist me in some way..the wireless device i use is a d-link dwa 140 and i connect to a netgear router via virgin media modem.....seems odd tho that i had connection fine then..bye gone no more!!.....

...p.s......sorry to add a problem to your own

• 3 weeks later...

My experience with Win 7 X64 and wifi plug the computer in to a lan and use windows update for the drivers.

Microsoft has drivers that the oem doesn't have listed, witch makes me think that MS is converting 32bit drivers to 64bit to make it able to sell.

MS doesn't make drivers unless it's Microsoft-branded hardware. If your vendor doesn't have a driver listed, but WU or the Win7 CD does, the vendor submitted the drivers for inclusion (Asus has been doing this a lot lately, for instance - no driver download, but it's on WU or the CD).