I turned off my graphics card now I can't see anything

notasgoodasithinkiam

Give this a try:

devcon -m:\\<machine> find * > <YourPath>\List.txt

where <machine> is the name of your black screen computer, and <YourPath> is a path you designate to output the results from the find command.

EDIT: Just thought of something else. You may need to start the black screen computer in "safe mode with networking" instead of normally, if you get any error messages from devcon.

OK getting confused with all the <> and in help file it has [<... do i need to use these brackets?

Yes and No.

If your machine's name is desktop, you would type m:\\desktop , not m:\\<desktop>. And if you want to put the file at C:\List.txt, you just type C:\List.txt.

However, in the

find * >

portion of the command, you do need to use the > , as this will redirect the output to a text file so you can more easily read it.

My apologies - I should have used something else to delineate the variables.

Give this a try:

where <machine> is the name of your black screen computer, and <YourPath> is a path you designate to output the results from the find command.

EDIT: Just thought of something else. You may need to start the black screen computer in "safe mode with networking" instead of normally, if you get any error messages from devcon.

OK getting confused with all the <> and in help file it has [<... do i need to use these brackets?

Yes and No.

If your machine's name is desktop, you would type m:\\desktop , not m:\\<desktop>. And if you want to put the file at C:\List.txt, you just type C:\List.txt.

However, in the

find * >

portion of the command, you do need to use the > , as this will redirect the output to a text file so you can more easily read it.

Hey don't apologise! your saving my a**!

Give this a try:

Yes and No.

However, in the

find * >

OK I've been trying but not sure if it's working as get console help file or I get devcon failed... is this right?

devcon -m:\\sony find * > C:\List.txt

Edited by notasgoodasithinkiam

Give this a try:

Yes and No.

However, in the

find * >

OK I've been trying but not sure if it's working as get console help file or I get devcon failed... is this right?

OK just rebooted the other machine into safe mode with networking... it is on the screen with all sytem32\driver.sys files and says "please wait..."

have pinged it and got 100% so netwoking is ok

this time when I do devcon command it writes the list.txt file but blank and says devcon failed but after quite a while, whereas before it did devcon fail streight away when I was logged into windows (on the black screen laptop)

any idea's... It's so close I can smell it!

As long as the actual machine name is sony, that is the correct syntax.

If you're unsure of the machine name, you could try using the IP address of the machine - I don't know if it will work, though.

I also have KIS 2010 on my machines - I have to head out for a while, but when I get back I'll play around with devcon a little more to see what I can find out on accessing another machine.

Edited by jrf2027

If you're unsure of the machine name, you could try using the IP address of the machine - I don't know if it will work, though.

I also have KIS 2010 on my machines - I have to head out for a while, but when I get back I'll play around with devcon a little more to see what I can find out on accessing another machine.

OK no problem thanks loads for all your help so far. really appreciate it. btw I have teamviewer on both machines but obviously can't access teamviewer on the black screen laptop to see the 4 digit code or accept help!

OK huge jump here! I reloaded the black screened laptop and managed to log into windows "blind" and have now managed to connect from this pc through windows wghome as I had the c: drive on the blank screened computer as a share! there must be a way to do this now as vista is installed on that drive! However the share seems to only be on c

; and not on any of the folders in c:! .... any ideas

OK huge jump here! I reloaded the black screened laptop and managed to log into windows "blind" and have now managed to connect from this pc through windows wghome as I had the c: drive on the blank screened computer as a share! there must be a way to do this now as vista is installed on that drive!

I tried to open a file on the blank screen c: drive but administrator password came up...

just read up on doing net use commands in command prompt... any one else help with this?

First, do us all a favor and stop quoting every single post as it's unnecessary.

Second, please use the "edit post" function as to not clutter up the topic with additional unnecessary posts.

Third (here ya go...) -

This may or may not help you (as I don't know if HIVE's are thesame in Vista/Win7, but suspect they are). This Linux bootable CD tool purports to allow editing a Registry HIVE from the LiveCD-Boot. The theory I propose is to download it, burn it, boot the "black screen" PC with it, load the SYSTEM HIVE on the HDD, find the offending Hardware, change a value, unload the HIVE, then reboot to the HDD.

I cannot vouch for this as I haven't tried it - use at your own risk!

The example I present is based upon a NIC that I have "disabled" (attached zippe'd Registry TXT file so it's readable). Notice the "ConfigFlags" field's value (a d-word "1"). All other "enabled" devices have a d-word of "0". So... one might be able to load the HIVE, change the value, unload the HIVE, and voila! Device Enabled!

HTH

edit - an article indicating using a Knoppix Live as well -

Here

___________________JUNK.zip

Edited by submix8c

OK huge jump here! I reloaded the black screened laptop and managed to log into windows "blind" and have now managed to connect from this pc through windows wghome as I had the c: drive on the blank screened computer as a share! there must be a way to do this now as vista is installed on that drive!

I tried to open a file on the blank screen c: drive but administrator password came up...

just read up on doing net use commands in command prompt... any one else help with this?

OK now have full access via network in windws xp omn this computer to c drive on blank screen computer... WHAT DO I DO!

Re post above sorry guys new to this posting thing... thanks for advice

edit - Thanks for advice submix8c but I'm not really sure what you mean or how to do it! Basically I can access the c drive of the blank pc via my network in explorer.

I have also downloaded PsExec that opens up programme's from that pc on this pc.

With this I now have the c prompt and command line for the blank computer on this screen.

So with the above what can I do to access device manager or whatever to enable the graphics card using what I have? Sorry but I may need a bit of a walk thru as I am way above my station/envelope/knowledge level here!

Thanks for your patience & understanding.

If you have full access (irrelevant as to method), just load the file SYSTEM into REGEDIT and try what I said above. (in ControlSet001/ControlSet002). Fair warning, this can't be done against a "running system" (SYSTEM hive is usually "locked").

HTH

I've done it! F*@*&? YEEEHHAA!

Firstly thanks to jrf2027 and to submix8c for all your info. you guys rock! For anyone that replicates my stupidity this is how I did it (again with assistance from these guys!)

my computer with blank screen/graphics card disabled is turned on and networked via crossover cat5 to working pc

ran psexec on working pc http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb897553.aspx

entered psexec \\marklap cmd where marklap is name of blank pc on network

now have command c:\ prompt for blank pc on working pc

copied devcon.exe to c: drive of blank pc and followed these instructions http://en.kioskea.net/faq/sujet-1886-enabl...he-command-line

entered devcon find * and devcon find pci/* in command line

found my hd3450 in list

entered: enable "id of device"

devcon reported enabled

restarted laptop

everything works!

Thanks MSFN Forums & also to the developers of devcon & psexec software!