Unattend.xml confusion

<RANT>

I must confess I completely skipped Vista, so this new Unattended process is alien to me. I have the Windows AIK installed for Windows 7, as well as the Microsoft MDT 2010. I have built a LiteTouch install for Windows 7 that works pretty well, but after the install is where things get confusing.

Applying the LiteTouch install to a reference computer, I wish to then capture that image TO A USB drive for distribution/testing using LiteTouch.

1. It appears Microsoft has made this impossible by requiring a UNC path for a Deployment Share to capture the image.

2. We have a hierarchical structure to our AD OU requiring that machines be joined to our domain in a variety of OUs. The idea of requiring Admins to type the various paths to those OUs 20 - 100 times CORRECTLY during deployments seems unrealistic at best.

3. I find it puzzling that Microsoft does not have one tool that aides in the Unattended.xml creation. Why build a task sequence, and then have to verify and customize it in System Image Manager, to only later have to open the XML in Notepad to further customize settings that could not be done through the previous two tools.

</RANT>

If I must Sysprep an image (sysprep /generalize /shutdown /oobe /unattend:answerfile), for each separate OU so I may use the "MachineObjectOU" value, can I just copy and edit my original UNATTEND.XML file, or do I need to create a new one? If I may copy my original UNATTEND.XML, how much of the information in it is actually required?

I have found plenty of documentation on the proper syntax of DISM, but no clear explanation of how it works. If I want to service my custom WIM images offline, I understand I may use DISM, but does that ACTUALLY install the updates on the image, or does it copy them to a location on the image from where they are run the first time the OS is installed?

Edited by Phurious

1. It appears Microsoft has made this impossible by requiring a UNC path for a Deployment Share to capture the image.
What is your USB drive letter G: ?? \\CompName\G$ should be a valid UNC path. Might work, report back. Otherwise, you can always "Copy" the files onto the USB drive after capturing.
3. I find it puzzling that Microsoft does not have one tool that aides in the Unattended.xml creation. Why build a task sequence, and then have to verify and customize it in System Image Manager, to only later have to open the XML in Notepad to further customize settings that could not be done through the previous two tools.
WSIM is the tool, settings are added by right-clicking the setting in the lower left pane, and choosing the correct "settings pass" where you would like to insert it. Then configure each setting in the middle frame. Much faster than notepad + google once you understand the basics.
2. We have a hierarchical structure to our AD OU requiring that machines be joined to our domain in a variety of OUs. The idea of requiring Admins to type the various paths to those OUs 20 - 100 times CORRECTLY during deployments seems unrealistic at best.

If I must Sysprep an image (sysprep /generalize /shutdown /oobe /unattend:answerfile), for each separate OU so I may use the "MachineObjectOU" value, can I just copy and edit my original UNATTENDED.XML file, or do I need to create a new one?

Instead of doing that, find a simple OU joining script and call it from SetupComplete.cmd stage or as a first login command in your unattend.xml. Then you only need to sysprep once. When you need to install to a different OU just tweak the script or create a USB drive for each OU.

\Sources\$OEM$\$$\Setup\Scripts\SetupComplete.cmd

\Sources\$OEM$\$$\Setup\Scripts\Add_Computer_OU.vbs

Much easier than trying to create a sysprep for each OU.

Edited by MrJinje

Thank you for your reply! It had occurred to me to try using the admin share for the USB drive on the reference computer, but I had hoped Microsoft would allow use the use of a drive letter supplied in either the customsettings.ini or bootstrap.ini. I will test this and post my results.

Also, the image will have to be tweaked for each OU. The different locations have different software requirements, so the image will have to be applied to a reference PC for each location, the software and settings configured, and the then the image will be re-sysprepped and sealed. I had assumed that since the image had to be sysprepped again, I should use a different UNATTEND.XML for the various OUs. Is this not a good idea?

Edited by Phurious

Also, the image will have to be tweaked for each OU. The different locations have different software requirements, so the image will have to be applied to a reference PC for each location, the software and settings configured, and the then the image will be re-sysprepped and sealed. I had assumed that since the image had to be sysprepped again, I should use a different UNATTEND.XML for the various OUs. Is this not a good idea?
If you already "have to" make multiple sysprep's then it could work. I don't think you need a different XML but you will need to tweak it slightly for each OU. Edited by MrJinje