configure to "Work network" during unattended W7 installatio

Hi,

while installing programs on our Windows 7 setup (using WDS) a window is opened where I should choose a network location. How could I prevent this windows and configure a "Work network"?

I think this should be done using the deployment workbench, where I have configured a domain join.

Regards, Nils.

OK I have an important question. When is sysprep run for your install? The reason is, that if you choose a network location other than public (cancelling the window is ok too) and then sysprep, DRM breaks in Windows. So, your choice of network location, during unattend should be public, then in your sysprep xml, you can specify the work location.

I install Windows 7 unattended at the moment, including all the programs. The question comes up after deploying the (more or less) default Windows 7 image through WDS and starting Windows and the automatic logon.

So SysPrep hasn't run yet.

Run something like this from your autounattend.xml - Obviously this is only a snippet and not a working XML file

<settings pass="oobeSystem">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<OOBE>
<NetworkLocation>Work</NetworkLocation>
</OOBE>
</component>
</settings>

See Unattend.chm in the WAIK for more details.

Edited by MrJinje

Thank you for the answer.

But I don't use SysPrep because I will distribute small Windows images and install the applications in the traditional way. So I will just ignore the network location window.

Regards, Nils.

@MrJinje: I had this setting allready configured, but the dialog is still coming up.
Are you sure ? I was thinking, if you really had the setting already configured, then you wouldn't be getting the dialog.

Can you attach, not post, your XML and we will take a look.

Unattend.xml

Edited by MrJinje

Here it is.

I just removed the passwords.

You were right the setting looks configured correctly.

I doubt you did any vLite stuff, so that cannot be it. Haven't heard any known issues with MDT 2010 (you said workbench - so I think you are using MDT), but you never know. We are in wild guess territory so maybe we need to narrow down the issue.

Can you try adding your autounattend.xml to a untouched ISO and see how that ISO installs in a VM. (maybe remove the first login commands and other unnecessary stuff). For the purpose of this test, we just want to know if the ISO installs without the network pop-up proving the XML is being read correctly when installing from DVD and also not being run correctly when installing via WDS.

Otherwise if the VM + ISO gets the pop-up too, then I am stumped for now. Back to the drawing board.

Yes, I'm using MDT 2010. And the WIM is nearly original, I just added (using MDT) newer Intel Chipset and S-ATA drivers.

Everything else is configured in MDT. I haven't used a tool like vLite.

I also have configured some settings in the "Rules" tab of the deployment share, and the only which might touch the network settings is the domain join.

I'll try to create an ISO image.

After a few tries I got a working Autounattend.xml from my unattend.xml (an empty Computername and Produkt Key field is a problem, commenting them out will work better).

But after the setup and the first run of Win 7 the dialog for the network comes up again.

In my older posts I forgot to tell that the dialog asks for a location for our company network.

Edit: we use a Windows Server 2003 based AD.

Edited by derniwi

@Cluberti:

I tried something like this before, using AutoHotKey and the included WindowSpy, but I can't get any usefull information from the network location window.

At the moment I'm trying an other solution with adding some registry keys for the network.

Edit: a working solution seems to be the following. I added the following tasks to the unattend.xml:

<settings pass="specialize">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Deployment" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<RunSynchronous>
<RunSynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
<Order>100</Order>
<Path>reg.exe ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\NewNetworks" /v NetworkList /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "" /f</Path>
<Description>Clear network list</Description>
</RunSynchronousCommand>
<Order>110</Order>
<Path>reg.exe ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Signatures\FirstNetwork" /V "IconPath" /t REG_SZ /D "%WINDIR%\system32\NetworkList\Icons\StockIcons\Office" /f</Path>
<Description>Icon for network connection</Description>
</RunSynchronousCommand>
<Order>120</Order>
<Path>reg.exe ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\UPnP Device Host\Devices" /F</Path>
</RunSynchronousCommand>
<Order>130</Order>
<Path>reg.exe ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\UPnP Device Host\Providers" /F</Path>
</RunSynchronousCommand>
<Order>200</Order>
<Path>reg.exe ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles\{AA3A7BFF-8FBF-46CA-AF89-3F69BFFC1FD8}" /v ProfileName /t REG_SZ /d "$$$ourdomain$$$" /f</Path>
<Description>Network Profile Name</Description>
</RunSynchronousCommand>
<Order>210</Order>
<Description>Network Profile Description</Description>
<Path>reg.exe ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles\{AA3A7BFF-8FBF-46CA-AF89-3F69BFFC1FD8}" /v Description /t REG_SZ /d "$$$ourdomain$$$" /f</Path>
</RunSynchronousCommand>
<Order>220</Order>
<Path>reg.exe ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles\{AA3A7BFF-8FBF-46CA-AF89-3F69BFFC1FD8}" /v Category /t REG_DWORD /d 00000002 /f</Path>
<Description>Network Profile Category</Description>
</RunSynchronousCommand>
<Order>230</Order>
<Path>reg.exe ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles\{AA3A7BFF-8FBF-46CA-AF89-3F69BFFC1FD8}" /v CategoryType /t REG_DWORD /d 00000002 /f</Path>
<Description>Network Profile Category type</Description>
</RunSynchronousCommand>
</RunSynchronous>
</component>
</settings>

You have to change the network domain name, in the code above I wrote "$$$ourdomain$$$".

The registry profile ID ({AA3A7BFF-8FBF-46CA-AF89-3F69BFFC1FD8}) is the one I found after a Windows 7 was installed (there is just one in the registry on my system). Maybe the ID is different on other networks.

The entries are based on the following thread:

Found a workaround for the Network location bug

Thanks for the help.

Nils.

Edited by derniwi