New support for wifi

gosh

I presume that the Version of the used AIK for Windows 7 is the problem.

dism accepts and works OK for the in the AIK provided cab files with version 6.1.7000

but it rejects the WiFi support cab having version 6.1.7600

Have now AIK with dism and cab files version 6.1.7600

Later more ....

Edited by wimb

The new AIK of Windows 7 with dism version 6.1.7600 contains even

the WiFi support file Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_OCs\Windows6.1-KB972831-x86.cab

I was able to add the package after adding with dism some extra cabs of WinPE_FPs folder.

After booting with pe3w.iso from GRUB4DOS menu I have a lot of portable programs running from PStart Menu,

but there is not yet WLAN available. The driver was added manually, but WLANAPI is not found on the system.

So we are making progress, but there is still some work to be done ....

More Info http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...mp;#entry161011

=

PE3W_GUI.png

=

Edited by wimb

@gosh

By omitting initially that it was a verbatim copy and paste from someone else's blog, you did give the impression :realmad: :

• that the works was done partly by a colleague of yours
  • that one of your customers had a wired problem now solved by wireless
  • that you were substantially familiar with the thingies and somehow "endorsed" them or their use

@Eagle710

You plainly stated that you were able to enable wireless connections in a PE 2.1 or 3.0, or at least this is the only way your post can be read.

Since I didn't believe you much :ph34r:, in order to try and understand what was it all about, I posted here:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10250

reporting the news.

The phishing ;) worked, and wimb got hooked. :thumbup

Now, it seems like turning out that:

gosh believes blindly in whatever MS writes (which does surprise me :w00t:) and never actually tested the thingies

Eagle710 has never had this working as well :unsure:

IMHO the misunderstandings could have been easily avoided if what is coming out now was stated initially, by taking a bit more care in the wording and quoting the sources/adding details.

Thanks to wimb for having taken the time to start the actual testing.

:hello:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I agree, reposts from other blogs or forums should have their source URL included with the post. This not only will alleviate the problem Jaclaz had in thinking it was something you (gosh) was working on, but it also will stop the original authors from thinking someone is stealing their work. This has come up on other forums in the past, and it is best to cite your sources, although you don't have to go TOW crazy. :ph34r:

@Tripredacus

I am not getting crazy at all :), and definitely not TOW crazy.....

....speaking of which ;):

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1007283/craz...towing_trailer/

..and also speaking of "blind faith" :whistle:.

The point I was trying to make is that one thing is posting some "news" read somewhere and another thing is to make them appear as your own, besides the point you made about possible "resentment" of the original authors, is that when gosh, I mean gosh, not a JohnDoe42 at his first post on the board, posts something, it automatically (at least in my mind) get a patent of "dependability/reliability", and it is a synonym of "tested".

In other words, and with all due respect for gosh, I was pointing out how he has to be, as reknown Windows tweaker/expert and MSFN Patron, very accurate, as his words do have a weight.

But it seems to me that everything is now clear and cool B) , let's see if we can actually have WiFi working on PE 2.x/3.x.....

jaclaz

@gosh

By omitting initially that it was a verbatim copy and paste from someone else's blog, you did give the impression :realmad: :

• that the works was done partly by a colleague of yours
  • that one of your customers had a wired problem now solved by wireless
  • that you were substantially familiar with the thingies and somehow "endorsed" them or their use

@Eagle710

You plainly stated that you were able to enable wireless connections in a PE 2.1 or 3.0, or at least this is the only way your post can be read.

Since I didn't believe you much :ph34r:, in order to try and understand what was it all about, I posted here:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10250

reporting the news.

The phishing ;) worked, and wimb got hooked. :thumbup

Now, it seems like turning out that:

gosh believes blindly in whatever MS writes (which does surprise me :w00t:) and never actually tested the thingies

Eagle710 has never had this working as well :unsure:

IMHO the misunderstandings could have been easily avoided if what is coming out now was stated initially, by taking a bit more care in the wording and quoting the sources/adding details.

Thanks to wimb for having taken the time to start the actual testing.

jaclaz

Look, i am very busy. When i find something useful i post it on this site. In retrospect its easy to i should have done this, i should have done that. The microsoft blog said this worked fine without any issues. I had no reason to doubt 2 microsoft employees who said this worked fine. Dont shoot the messenger. If you have a complaint direct it at the original source - the microsoft blog. It would be nice to get a thanks every once in awhile.

I will try and find time to post a zip file of all the regedits and system file I required to get Wireless to work in WinPE 2.1 but have been very busy as of late. Please proceed with testing and I will update you all when I get the chance.

I may be able to take a screenshot of connection to a wireless accesspoint if you would like a quick Proof of Concept. Let me know!

Unprotected Wireless Internet in Windows PE 3.0 was realized:

It is necessary to let dism Add WLAN drivers in specific way from provided folder WIN7_drivers.

As before, dism was also used to add winpe-wmi.cab and the HotFix WinPE_OCs\Windows6.1-KB972831-x86.cab

The WLANAPI missing message in PENetwork.exe was overcome by Adding WIN7_system32\wlanapi.dll of Windows 7 to system32

Internet access and PENetwork don't work yet for WPA encryption.

There is now a message for problem to be solved:

file netwzc.inf is missing, which is needed for support of Wireless Zero Configuration

Code used to make Windows PE 3.0 - pe3w.iso

copype.cmd x86 F:\winpe3_x86

copy /y F:\winpe3_x86\winpe.wim F:\winpe3_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim

imagex.exe /mountrw F:\winpe3_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim 1 F:\winpe3_x86\mount

Dism /image:F:\winpe3_x86\mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_FPs\winpe-wmi.cab"
Dism /image:F:\winpe3_x86\mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_FPs\en-us\winpe-wmi_en-us.cab"
Dism /image:F:\winpe3_x86\mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_OCs\Windows6.1-KB972831-x86.cab"
:: Add WLAN drivers
Dism /image:F:\winpe3_x86\mount /Add-Driver /Driver:F:\winpe3_x86\WIN7_drivers /recurse
:: Add wlanapi.dll
xcopy.exe F:\winpe3_x86\WIN7_system32\*.* F:\winpe3_x86\mount\Windows\System32\ /i /k /e /r /y /h
:: Add Browse for Folder support by making empty folder Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Desktop
md F:\winpe3_x86\mount\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Desktop

imagex.exe /unmount /commit F:\winpe3_x86\mount

oscdimg.exe -n -m -o -bF:\winpe3_x86\etfsboot.com F:\winpe3_x86\ISO F:\winpe3_x86\pe3w.iso

More Info: http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...mp;#entry161011

Windows PE 3.0 with Wireless Internet - Opera Portable and PENetwork.exe

=

PE3_WLAN.png

=

Edited by wimb

Probably a long-shot... but might be interesting to do a Dependency Walker profile of some other wireless networking manager - like one specific to the adaptor.

For example, Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility for Windows 7 32-Bit*. There's a zip file there which may be installable to the off-line winpe. Alternatively, the program may be installable online in a running winpe and the installer would probable say what's missing and required.

To start, add all the packages in the WAIK and the wireless driver, and throw the installer and depends.exe into /system32..., and have plenty of RAM.

... just a thought.

Regards :)

Thanks allanf for your interest and help.

First attempt to use Intel Utility ICS_s32.exe in Windows PE 3.0 environment failed.

However, I will try now to follow approach of PENetwork.script

and add required files and registry entries needed for WiFi Support with encryption.

Your advice to add empty Desktop folder to config\systemprofile works excellent.

We now have Browse for Folder support in Windows PE 3.0

Edited by wimb

Wireless Internet with WPA2-PSK + AES Encryption is realized in Windows PE 3.0 :thumbup

I have used Registry Settings from Windows 7 edited according to PENetwork.script of Holger

And I have added in Windows PE 3.0 the missing but Required files according to Holger's script. :thumbup

More details will follow ....

Windows PE 3.0 with Wireless Encrypted Internet - Opera Portable and PENetwork.exe

=

PE3_WL.png

=

Edited by wimb

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all!

Some of you might be interested in a thread over on the TechNet forums "WinPE 802.1x TLS authentication during zero touch?".

By the end of the thread, a method of getting 802.1X working under Windows PE is given.

Microsoft still haven't given any documentation on getting this all working properly.

Any use/thoughts?

Edited by nicklad

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...