How to make nLite work under Windows 7?

Woagie

It will install, but nothing happens when I try to run the program. I'm wondering if there's a way to get it working so I can create an XP disc for an ancient system I have kicking around? Please advise!

Did you remove the .NET Frameworks? nLite is dependent on .NET 2.0.

Anyways, it's not recommended to run nLite on Vista/W7. Use a virtual machine running XP to make your XP disk.

Woagie, as -X- says, it is not recommended to use W7 to create an ISO for XP. A number of people have successfully done so, however. Integrating a Service Pack will very likely not work, so I would avoid that. The best bet is running under XP and a virtual system is an option. VirtualPC, VirtualBox and VMware Server are all free. Enjoy, John.

Did you remove the .NET Frameworks? nLite is dependent on .NET 2.0.

Anyways, it's not recommended to run nLite on Vista/W7. Use a virtual machine running XP to make your XP disk.

I didn't remove .NET Framework, but I did install the alternative runtimes.

No worries, I'll borrow my girlfriend's laptop, she has Vista and I've created an XP disc on there once before. Works great without problems.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

• 4 years later...

Well I wish I'd read this thread first!  I just tried running nLite under Win7 to add SATA drivers to an old XP build.  It just bombed after I did all the right stuff.  OK, .Net 2.0.  Deleted .Net 4.0 and "turned off" native Win7 .Net 3.5.  Install .Net 2.0.  No go.  "This software is already installed."  MS says .Net vesions are backwards compatible (i.e an app that uses an earlier .Net will work with a newer one), but I guess not perfectly so. 

OK, if I set my bios to IDE mode, then XP installs OK.  I already tried applying the SATA AHCI drivers into the installed IDE mode XP, but no go there either. 

So I guess I'll try my slipstreaming there in IDE mode XP (with .Net 2.0).  Then reinstall XP in AHCI mode.

Infinite machinations, but dogged persistence has always paid off in the past...

I already tried applying the SATA AHCI drivers into the installed IDE mode XP, but no go there either. 

There are methods to install those drivers in a mode where the hardware is not "present" (obviously not related to nLite).

One example here.

Also (using another approach, useful if you install from a PE with WINNT32.EXE, but also "nlite compatible"):

http://reboot.pro/topic/18119-integratedrv/

About installing the SATA AHCI drivers on a "running XP" (booted in IDE compatibility mode) see:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/120444-how-to-install-windows-from-usb-winsetupfromusb-with-gui/page-24#entry884409

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?444831-HOWTO-enable-AHCI-mode-after-installing-Windows

jaclaz