Building a computer for under 700$

Grake

Does the motherboard have a firewire port on the back? if not, then your motherboard most likely doesn't support it, and you can't use the port. you'll have to live with it, and know the port will do nothing, and make sure other people know that.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...ufacture=Noctua

That's what I would go with given the choices...

There's an IEEE 1394 on the case, and I can't find any connection on the motherboard. Not that it has any use for him, but I would just like to know how or if I can connect it to that mobo

If it's the motherboard listed above, there is no FW port on it, and it's unsurprising he has no use for it either. If he ever does, generic FW cards are dirt cheap now (under $10 shipped, I even gave several away a while ago). The uses for it are pretty niche these days, USB 2 (and now 3) being good enough for just about everything (external storage and such), cheap Gigabit switches and onboard Gbit NICs making it mostly pointless for networking, using it for debugging is not that common... There's almost only DV cameras using it now, but even then lots of those are moving to USB too (even iPods and other Apple stuff moved away from it). I always wonder why onboard Firewire is so popular these days when there's less and less use for it anymore (I'd gladly take a 2nd GBit NIC, USB/eSATA/serial/parallel port or whatever else instead as I might actually use those)

As far as coolers go, I haven't really looked much as far as Socket LGA1156 goes so I'll let someone else chime in.

About the IEEE, ya I don't know why it was on the case. I've never had a use for it, nor do I even know anyone who would use it.

@bone & Zens the notua is a little out of my price range, well not little, a lot lol. I read the reviews on the CM and it seems to be nice. Now just wondering if I should actually get it cause I've already built it. lol

The Noctua is pretty darn big though and looks sweet when you see it for real.
Just way too overpriced, that's for sure.

The Coolermaster is a good pick and comes with a solid base; not like the S775 plastic pins that you push trough the motherboard holes (yup, the ones that snap).

Just way too overpriced, that's for sure.

The Coolermaster is a good pick and comes with a solid base; not like the S775 plastic pins that you push trough the motherboard holes (yup, the ones that snap).

Yeah I know it expensive hey. But the Coolermaster would be an excellent pick, I'm thinking of getting one to put in the top PC in my sig (I think they work for socket 775 too) and then sell the Freezer because I'm afraid of the plastic push pins breaking next time I remove it or even just move the PC around too much! Then in a year or so when I build a new PC (probably around the Core i5 CPU) I can just reuse the Coolermaster cooler and put the stock cooler back on the socket 775 PC.

Edited by Zenskas