No choice for bigger fonts in Windows Appearance

Ponch

Hi all, I'm installing a netbook (Samsung N130), the screen is pretty small so I think this could be a problem; there is no possibility to get big(ger) fonts in the Appearance pane of the display properties. I did NOT remove "Accessibility Options". I attached the last session for my other portable which shows the same symptom (+the netbook is in french). SP3 is integrated with nLite and all is run under XP.

Is it "Windows Classic style" causing it? As well as the reason, if anyone had a solution/workaround other than the usual "reinstall" (which by the way is not a solution here ;) ), I'd be glad to read it. Thanks.

LAST_SESSION.INI

Ponch, I have never used Classic theme, but have you tried to going to Properties on the DeskTop, Appearance tab, Advanced, and select Icon under Item. Here you can set the size as you wish. I just tried it in VMware on a test ISO I built. I set the theme to Classic and changed the Icon size to 64 (default 32) and I now have huge icons. Perhaps you are looking for an automated method and I don't know the Registry key. Using RegShot perhaps you could determine the appropriate key. I suspect you know that the Tweak "Explorer-Launch folder windows in a separate process" exposes a Windows bug. Enjoy, john.

EDIT: Sorry, looks like I answered the wrong question. I do see Large and Extra Large on my fonts pull down. I'll see if I can find the Registry key.

EDIT: Here are the three files that RegShot created on my XP x64 VM. Looks weird - hope you can make some sense of it - especially the Cryptography thingy.

Edited by johnhc

Sorry, looks like I answered the wrong question.

I first thought so but in fact you did half answer my question as it allows changing the fonts under the icons which is what I tried to achieve even if the dropdown menu I'm missing is affecting other things like fonts on the start button and the task bar, on title bars, ao. The usefull lines in your reg files are the last ones. Thanks.

I still don't know where the problem comes from. :}

Ponch, I don't know what is causing the problem either, but perhaps the Color Scheme is a good candidate for a VM test. Please see the note next to it on my attached screen shot. It seems to hit close to the fonts drop list. To get larger icons on the Taskbar, I assume you have tried right clicking in the Quick Launch area (Taskbar unlocked) and selecting View-Large Icons. Perhaps View or Large Icons is missing. Have your tried using the entire .reg files from the RegShot. Please remember it is from an XP x64 system. Good luck, John.

EDIT: Sorry, looks like I answered the wrong question. I do see Large and Extra Large on my fonts pull down.
To get larger icons on the Taskbar, ...

Funny, you insist on answering the wrong question when you'd seemed to set yourself on the right path :angel .

I have no time for VM tests now, this was supposed to be done for christmas :D (it's for my father) but I had tons of other issues. I might try later. Thanks for the hints.