Mouse not recognised on 32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium

Arie

A while ago I started building a HTPC with a 32-bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium. My build first used an ASUS P5N7A-VM motherboard. During the setup process already, the simple Logitech keyboard which I had connected via USB worked fine, but the simple Logitech mouse which was also connected via USB didn't work. Once the setup process had finished, the USB mouse refused to work. Unplugging the mouse and connecting it again didn't solve the issue. I get an error message that the USB device it not working properly. Using a different USB port didn't solve the issue either. I have tried a different Logitech USB mouse, but the issue remained. I changed the keyboard for another Logitech keyboard as well, thinking it might be a conflict between the keyboard and mouse, but again the issue didn't go away. Plugging in only a mouse didn't solve it either. Reinstalling the computer, but this time with another keyboard and mouse resulted in the same. The installation of the Logitech SetPoint software also didn't solve anything. Believing that it could be the motherboard, I changed it as well for an ASUS M4A785G HTPC. Nothing changed however. Both mice are not seen during the setup process and both mice refuse to work after the setup process is finished, no matter what I do. The only keyboard and mouse which worked, is a small keyboard which I have which has a trackball on it, so it's actually a keyboard and mouse in one. I have tried two ASUS motherboards, two Logitech keyboards and two Logitech mice and both mice refused to work. Does anyone have any ideas what this can be?

I'd start off by checking the BIOS section related to USB devices and make sure that both USB keyboard and USB mouse are enabled.

Default motherboard settings for both motherboards didn't work. I have enabled legacy USB devices for example in the BIOS of both motherboards as well, but that didn't do the trick either.