Wireless connectivity

Stuckin98

:blushing: I'm getting really tired of my rural 26K dial up. I'd like to get a wireless USB modem for higher speed, but the companies I contact say 98se isn't supported. Is there a hot fix or patch for that problem? If not, perhaps there's a tricky way around it. C'mon, you guys know.

Also, I see it says "Last updates for 98se". Does that mean last as in, final / dead / buried ? I've got the typical 16mb hot fixes and patches downloads. Guess I was under the impression that this project to keep 98 alive was an ongoing thing rather like the linux people are doing. That would be cool.

I'm not real computer saavy, but I sure know how to wipe down a drive and reload 98se :D

Okay, you can stop laughing now.

I'm getting really tired of my rural 26K dial up. I'd like to get a wireless USB modem for higher speed, but the companies I contact say 98se isn't supported.

Why not invest in a cable/ADSL connection instead? If you use wireless, you'll still need a ADSL/cable setup to connect your wireless router too right?

If a manufacturer says that Windows 98 is "not supported", it doesn't mean that you can try installing the Windows 2000/XP drivers. After all, Windows 98 does support WDM 2.0, which is what Windows 2000/XP uses. You may still have luck with those drivers.

But do ensure that you know how to access safe mode in case those drivers screw Windows 98SE's boot process.

Also, try installing KernelEx to try forcing those stubbon install programs that don't allow you to run them on Windows 9x.

Also, I see it says "Last updates for 98se". Does that mean last as in, final / dead / buried ?

It can mean 2 things:

1. Newest updates for Windows 98SE (As in the previously released)

2. Windows 98SE support has officially ended.

You can also try drivers for a similar product from a different manufacturer, if you know that they built their products with similar hardware. Or you can try the driver for a similar, but older product from the same manufacturer (That supports Windows 98).

Look around this forum... I remember that there were a few threads a few weeks old that talked about your issue.

Okay, you can stop laughing now.

Everybody started off with zero knowledge after all right?

Edited by sp193

I'd like to get a wireless USB modem for higher speed

My main home PC is still 98FE and it still uses dial-up (56K) but I'm in the process of going ADSL with an XP box. As part of that process I bought a Netgear DG834G wireless router. Bundled with it was a W111 wireless USB thingy. I tried adding the wireless gizmo to the 98FE PC but it choked big time. However, when I installed it on an old IBM 390 Thinkpad laptop that runs 98SE it was perfectly happy and joined the home network that that router was providing to my XP box and two other laptops (one Vista Gold, the other XP).

So, yes 98SE can do wireless networking and from what I've seen so far there is no reason why 98SE couldn't handle an ADSL connection to the internet.

Perhaps when you say companies told you 98 isn't supported they meant the modems they supply as part of their ADSL package won't work. In which case don't take the modem they offer. Go shopping and find one that is 98SE compatible. My experience is the Netgear DG834G works with 98SE but your mileage may vary. ;)

stuck

There are no cables or DSL here, only the phone line ...... sort of like tin cans and a string. I can see wireless towers some mile away, so the addition of the drivers would probably work with matching hardware. ....... Thanks for your comments :)

ADSL uses the telephone line, but has higher speeds than a 56K dialup modem because it uses a wider frequency spectrum. Talk to your Internet Service Provider, and see what other connection options they have for you.

Or see if you can get a older Wireless adaptor for your computer that supports Windows 98 officially. Try your local stalls first, and EBay last.

Edited by sp193

There are no cables or DSL here, only the phone line ...... sort of like tin cans and a string. I can see wireless towers some mile away, so the addition of the drivers would probably work with matching hardware. ....... Thanks for your comments :)
ADSL uses the telephone line
Cable/DSL simply does not exist everywhere. Having worked a number of years with Qwest\USWest I can safely say that DSLAM's are expensive, and they just don't install them willy-nilly. To give an idea, back in 2001 they probably only had four CO's for the entire state of Wyoming. It's very possible that satellite and cellular are his only options,

If the OP says DSL is not available in his area, i am inclined to believe him. Here is some information on how to check DSL availability online and a description of some of it's limitations.

Anyways, back on subject. If you cannot use a USB modem or otherwise somehow get the drivers to install. The next best thing is gonna be a router with a PCMCIA slot. You should be able to plug in with a network cable (or use wireless ???) and it will handle connecting to your Cellular/Satellite provider. They are relatively cheap, so it shouldn't cost you that much more than you were already planning to spend.

http://www.google.com/products?q=router+pcmcia+slot

Which ISP's are you looking at ?

Edited by MrJinje

98 works fine with DSL. If you have the option, you'll get better results if your modem or router can be connected via ethernet instead of USB. With ethernet, there are no OS compatibility problems. If you must use USB for your internet connection, make certain that your built in USB hardware is 2.0 compatible. If it's not, get a new USB card. Make sure you update your USB drivers.

Guess I was under the impression that this project to keep 98 alive was an ongoing thing rather like the linux people are doing. That would be cool.

Many of the projects here are for that very purpose.

98 works fine with DSL. If you have the option, you'll get better results if your modem or router can be connected via ethernet instead of USB. With ethernet, there are no OS compatibility problems. If you must use USB for your internet connection, make certain that your built in USB hardware is 2.0 compatible. If it's not, get a new USB card. Make sure you update your USB drivers.
I think the OP is talking about drivers for a USB Modem/Cellular Modem. These are EV-DO or 3g devices that plug into your computer and connect just like a cell-phone would.

212586078.jpg

I think the OP is talking about drivers for a USB Modem/Cellular Modem. These are EV-DO or 3g devices that plug into your computer and connect just like a cell-phone would.

212586078.jpg

i also have similar devices (its Huawei E220 HSDPA USB modem), but ...

If a manufacturer says that Windows 98 is "not supported", it doesn't mean that you can try installing the Windows 2000/XP drivers. After all, Windows 98 does support WDM 2.0, which is what Windows 2000/XP uses. You may still have luck with those drivers.

yeah the driver is wdm compliant, however it still have missing imports, wdmcheck told me so.

i notice that missing imports were provided by winxp system services. (such as smartcard discovery, etc...)

until i found a way to provide it to drivers (perhaps thru emulation layer), or better yet, find a win9x compatible drivers,

that devices won't be usable in win9x.

---

sidestory:

• its kinda ironic, that because wdmcheck i finaly figured out why that device works on some winxp system, but not on others xp system.
    those system have their some of needed system services disabled, most likely due to efficiency reasons.
    nowhere in manual, nor in program provided, stated that such system service must be enabled in order for the device to works properly.

ADSL uses the telephone line
Cable/DSL simply does not exist everywhere. Having worked a number of years with Qwest\USWest I can safely say that DSLAM's are expensive, and they just don't install them willy-nilly. To give an idea, back in 2001 they probably only had four CO's for the entire state of Wyoming. It's very possible that satellite and cellular are his only options,

If the OP says DSL is not available in his area, i am inclined to believe him. Here is some information on how to check DSL availability online and a description of some of it's limitations.

Anyways, back on subject. If you cannot use a USB modem or otherwise somehow get the drivers to install. The next best thing is gonna be a router with a PCMCIA slot. You should be able to plug in with a network cable (or use wireless ???) and it will handle connecting to your Cellular/Satellite provider. They are relatively cheap, so it shouldn't cost you that much more than you were already planning to spend.

http://www.google.com/products?q=router+pcmcia+slot

Which ISP's are you looking at ?

Will this gizmo help solve anything ?

post-239713-1263932634_thumb.jpg

post-239713-1263932670_thumb.jpg

post-239713-1263932687_thumb.jpg

Will this gizmo help solve anything ?
You said DSL wasn't available in your area. Best bet us give Qwest a call and they can check your service availability for you.

I think the number is still 1-800-244-1111

Edited by MrJinje