Network printing issues

We have a few computers. All have Windows XP. All but one can print fine to the network printers. The one that cannot, when I go to the printer properties, ports tab, will not keep the setting when we check the appropriate network port. I think this may be related to the problem. My google search string:

"windows xp" -vista printer driver network port driver ("will not" OR wont) stay checked

has not yielded anything helpful. Any suggestions where to turn next?

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you look for updated drivers?

I never really heard/had to deal with this problem before, it's very new to me. Can the other computers ping the printer? Did you try a different ip address?

Did you add the printers via Add a Printer wizard? If so, did select Local Printer attached to this computer? If you did, uncheck Automatically detect and install my plug and play printer. I have a nice HP network printer and when I set it up in windows xp, I can't do the option for network printer, it wont work at all. So I do the method above.

Umm, Maybe it's time to upgrade to Windows 7? haha. But really, It does make it much more easier to add printers, when I added my network printer in windows 7, it automatically found it within a second and installed the drivers and we're going to go.

I don't really know what else to tell you, just messing around with it, you will get it to work.

Edited by Nerwin