BSOD: irql_not_less_than_equal

ZELLIS

I've already tracked it to a driver, and there was no indication the CPU was overclocked - it's a stock E8500:

0: kd> !sysinfo cpuinfo
[CPU Information]
~MHz = REG_DWORD 3166
Component Information = REG_BINARY 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0
Configuration Data = REG_FULL_RESOURCE_DESCRIPTOR ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
Identifier = REG_SZ x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
ProcessorNameString = REG_SZ Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz
Update Signature = REG_BINARY 0,0,0,0,4,a,0,0
Update Status = REG_DWORD 2
VendorIdentifier = REG_SZ GenuineIntel
MSR8B = REG_QWORD a0400000000

3.16GHz is stock for an E8500:

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLAPK

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLB9K

Not every crash is a hardware problem, but the OP should check to make sure the CPU is within thermal spec. If so, I'd suspect driver, not hardware.

It is possible for a CPU to be unstable on stock settings. CPUs can degrade because of heat and using improper voltages for large amounts of time.

I'd check your temperatures, your CPU might be overheating. If its not overvolted or overheating I'd assume its a Windows Issue not a hardware based issue.

Thank you all for the ideas... I have been having other blue screen issues over the last two week and the PC has been entirely down. I got it up and running again tonight. so here is some quick info on the setup.

nothing is overclocked here.

have removed all PCI cards from PC.

I am also having "power_driver_state_failure" on some shutdowns. when using windows normally, sometimes my Internet explorer window locks up. once this happens, i cannot open a new instance of the program. i get an houre glass for 3 sec then nothing. My system monitor / processes show i have iexplorer running but the window never opens for me. when this happens and i go to reboot, the PC nevers shuts down and i will now get the "power_driver_state_failure" after 5 min or so. I have already reinstalled vist.

cluberti, THANK YOU for taking the time looking into this issue. as and FYI, I had this issue BSOD: irql_not_less_than_equal before i installed SEP. I have not been able to find any updates to the SW besides the new virus def i get daily. as for the chip set, I tried to reinstall the latest drivers but the file you found in question remains the same date and ver after the update. ans my system is wirless, im not using the wired ethernet. i think that what this driver is associated with nvm60x32.sys.

Things i have done or happened since cluberti read the dump for me: As i stated above, the PC was dead for about a week, i encountered Lockups, constant BSOD IRQ_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL and finally BIOS error code. i am using a evga 780i MB, POST error 26, 26 Clock Gen Init onboard clock generator and sensor. and i also started to get POST error on my RAM. I pulled all 4 sticks out, and cleaned them. looks like the contacts were dirty. that problem seems fixed. then i had to replace the video Card and the PC booted again. so that is where i am now. cleaned memory and a new vid card. so far NO IRQ_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL problem byt i need more time to verify the issue ig gone, however i still have this BSOD "power_driver_state_failure" i need to figure out.

i hate computers...

Edited by ZELLIS

To answer the above poster's questions, I have an Nforce4 Ultra (AMD)motherboard with built-in networking. The NIC shows up as an "NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller". The default installed driver is apparently provided by Microsoft, with a driver date of 6/21/2006 and a driver version of 6.2.0.126. In the driver details, there is only one file and its named nvm60x32.sys and is listed as being provided by NVIDIA Corporation and has a version of 6.02.00.1126. As for my router, its a humble D-Link DI604. Computer is an Athlon X2 dual-core 3800. Other than that, I can't think of much to say. The system basically works fine as long as I don't sleep. For the moment, I've just disabled sleep entirely but that's not such a great solution.

from http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&...mp;aq=f&oq=

Edited by engmod