Window 98SE - Virtual PC 5.1.0 Question

Monroe

In another thread I was reading about Connectix Virtual PC v5.1.0.370. It is supposed to be the last version to work with Windows 98SE. I was able to find a trial version download using Google. It installed OK but when I went to run Virtual PC this window popped up:

Windows Application Compatibility Mode Detected.

Virtual PC cannot be run under Windows Application Compatibility Mode settings. Please turn off these settings before running Virtual PC again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I then deleted that version and installed the trial version 4.3.2. I get the same pop-up window and can go no further. What exactly does that mean and how do I turn it off in Windows 98SE? ... or any ideas or suggestions?

thanks ...

jaclaz,

No, I have Win 98SE installed only on my machines ... I was using my oldest laptop, which I use as a testing machine for everything before I put something on my newer Win 98SE notebooks. I am going to read your links for any help.

Rick,

OK, when I first installed Virtual PC 5.1.0.370 on my test notebook I did have KernelEX installed. As I was trying to figure something out about that pop-up window, I thought about having KernelEX also installed on the notebook ... So I uninstalled KernelEX and also Virtual PC and ran every cleanup tool I have on the computer and deleted the Virtual PC folder and cleaned the registry. Then I reinstalled Virtual PC 5.1.0370 again and got the pop-up window about Win Application Compatability Mode Detected. I then uninstalled Virtual PC 5.1.0.370 and ran all the cleanup tools again and cleaned the registry. I then installed version 4.3.2 and still got the pop-up window. Do you think after removing KernelEX that there is something there somewhere? I have a Ghost backup that never had KernelEX installed so later today I may redo this computer with that backup. I will wait to see if you, jaclaz or anyone has any ideas. If there are some KernelEX leftovers around where would they be?

** I would like to add, that I Googled that "Win App Comp Mode" term along with "Windows 98SE" and could find nothing ... everything seem to deal with XP only.

thanks ...

Edited by duffy98

I'm not familiar enough with KernelEX to guess if or where any leftovers could be. It's just the only place I can remember seeing "application compatibility" on a 9X system.

If that pre-KernelEX backup is old, I'd make a backup of your existing system in case that's not the problem.

Rick ...

Yes, that's what I also remember seeing after KernelEX is installed ... something about "compatibility" so I figured early on that might be my problem. I am going to go put the Ghost backup on and try Virtual PC 5.1.0.370 again. Will post information after I'm finished. I just hope I never had KernelEX installed on that machine as an earlier version. Then I will ask about KernelEX leftovers in the KernelEX thread. I may think twice about installing it on my computers from now on ... it does make a Win 98SE machine much nicer for additional software but it may have some drawbacks also. I just always assumed if you uninstalled it, it was gone ... maybe not the case.

thanks ...

All I can say is that version 4.2 worked fine on my Win98 SE until I installed KernelEx... so I confirm what you noticed : the KernelEx compatibility tab is seen as XP compatibility mode by Connectix Virtual PC. I wrote a post on the KernelEx thread about this issue a few days ago...

I'll try to run version 5.1 trial on a Win9x from which I'll uninstall KernelEx to see if it works fine.

KernelEx is great, it's a shame if we have to stop using it to use Virtual PC...

Edited by glocK_94

Well, finally back from doing the reinstall on the "old" Toshiba. First of all, thanks glock_94 for that confirmation with KernelEX and Virtual PC. Yes, that really is too bad there has to be a conflict between the two. I have been able to install a few newer programs because of KernelEX but was also hoping to be able to put Virtual PC on the same computer.

However, when I finally had everything set up and installed Virtual PC again and started to run it, I got a new pop-up window with the following.

Virtual PC is incompatible with the host processor in this machine. Virtual PC requires at least a Pentium II (or equivalent).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure is a picky little program ! ... Well, I said it was an older laptop that I now use for testing programs and things out. It is a Toshiba Pentium MMX so I will have to move up to my Pentium III or Pentium M machines. I will uninstall ver 5.1.0.370 and maybe try ver 4.3.2, possibilty that older version will work with a Pentium but I won't bet on it. So I will try version 5.1.0.370 on a Pentium III later. I hope one day the KernelEX and Virtual PC issue might be worked out, if it's possible. I only mention this Pentium II thing in case someone else is using an older computer below a Pentium II.

Thanks for the help. Will post after I install Virtual PC on my Dell Pentium III.

Most probably Qemu wouldn't be that slow (in the sense of much slower than Virtual PC) on that machine, and surely it is less picky.

Both 4.3.2 and 5.1 versions need the Pentium II?

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

When you're using Virtual PC, you are for all purposes running 2 operating systems. You need enough processor speed and available RAM to adequately power them both. I had it installed on my 366MHZ HP. A Win2K system I made on it took 3 minutes to boot up. It ran, but you could mow the lawn waiting for things to finish. On this unit, a Pentium 4, 2.4 GHZ with 1GB RAM, the same 2K image runs at a very usable speed. Unless you've got fairly powerful hardware, it's not worth it. It also helps if the host system is as stripped down as possible.

Thanks guys, concerning the requirements for Virtual PC ... I never really gave that much thought, I was figuring since it worked with Win 98SE, it would just work. I did try to put Virtual PC v5.1.0 on one of my Pentium IIIs and I got the "compatability" box again. KernelEX wasn't installed on it, didn't think it ever was but somewhere in the last 3 yrs I must have installed an earlier version and something is still there. Got this computer from a seller on eBay in 2006.

Well, I have a couple other notebooks and one desktop in storage ... that one I know for sure never had KernelEx installed on it. Just wanted to try this program out, see how it worked.

That compatibility message is odd. The new unit I installed it on is a Pentium 4, but I've also installed it on a unit with an old Celeron and never saw such a message. It might not hurt to double check the version number on that trial version. I do have another unit with a Pentium 2 that I haven't built yet. As soon as I can, I'll put an OS on it and see if I get that compatibility message.

It would seem that Microsoft took away more than the ability to run Virtual PC on 98.

Knoppix Live CD on Virtual PC on 98SE host.

Image scaled back from 1280X960 to meet forum file size limits.

I've also used a G-Parted CD and an Acronis rescue CD on Virtual PC. Both worked properly.

Duffy,

I can't duplicate that error message you're getting on any hardware that I have. Could you either send me a copy of that trial version or a link to it? I'm betting that there's either something wrong with it or it's been deliberately altered to remove 9X compatibility.

herbalist,

I got all the links from the Old Version Forums ... I did copy all the links, not knowing at the time the downloads might not be any good.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Virtual Pc v4.3.2

ftp://ftp.sys.net.pl/pub/Win/VPC/VPC_432_Trial.exe

ftp://ns2.prz-rzeszow.pl/pub/Win/VPC/VPC_432_Trial.exe

* Virtual Pc v5.0

from the Wayback Machine

* Virtual Pc v5.1 (23megs)

ftp://www.kuzbass.ru/pub/dos_win/VPC_51_Trial.exe

from the Wayback Machine

* Virtual Pc v5.2

from the Wayback Machine *

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe let herbalist test or check the versions out first. I tested version 5.1.0.370 and v4.3.2 with no luck.

** All links are now fixed.