FDV fileset for XP

fdv

there's a message that they did'nt pass M$ labs -> 'continue anyway')

That looks like the problem I had when using HFSLIP with HFCLEANUP, with XP in the past.

(HFSLIP with HFCLEANUP resulted in Windows Setup failing to even recognize at least pretty much all Microsoft drivers as Microsoft drivers.)

(HFCLEANUP is no longer supported)

That sucked. This may occur again when adding custom stuff.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

• 3 months later...

I just received the following error.

The following value in .sif used by setup is corrupted or missing value 0 on the line in section [sourceDisksFile]

with key SP3.CAB.

I did not run HFSLIP, I just replaced the files in i386 folder. Any solutions.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys.

I thought I might wade in with a response to some issues raised by ebernard (post 67) a while ago- if anyone is still interested!

Hi guys,

Having used fdvfiles for W2k, I wanted to do the trick with XP too.

Trying it, my already great respect for FDV, Tommy, and you guys, increased by the hour.

I just can't get it right, so it seems.

I just hope one of you will take the trouble to read this and give me a hint.. :blink:

Excuse me if these are stupid questions (I'm not a system programmer myself). :(

Question 1

Is the latest fdvfiles-xp (from July 17, 2010) usable with XP-Home or is it for XP-Pro only?

When I put the contents of the XP-Home OEM CD in SOURCE folder and create a CD, the installer produces 50 messages about

"unable to copy file"

These files are not on the original XP-Home CD.

All but the last one is mentioned in textsetup.sif

These are the filenames:

admtoolw.chm
appmgmts.dll
appmgr.dll
asr_fmt.exe

[etc.]

xpsp3res.dll

Question 2

Is the following expected behavior?

• When I skip these files at copy, the install continues.
  • But after the restart, and login as 'Owner' - no password, when installing devices, the program mentions dozens of HFSLIPnnn.INF files missing.
  • After another restart, and login as 'Owner' - no password, the desktop remains black with only the version information in the bottom right corner.

Question 3

Is the following expected behavior?

When I try to login as Administrator, I get the message I can't be registered, due to some account limitation.

That happens when I use fdvfiles-xp on a XP-Pro source as well!

I have not read anything explicit from fdv about XP Pro v. XP Home, either online or in the readme.txt that comes with the fdv fileset.

It seems unlikely that the files will work with XP Home. The fdvfiles version of txtsetup.sif (not “textsetup.sif” btw :) ) corresponds to files found in the XP Pro CD I386 directory.

(My testing involves running .iso files on Virtualbox, either created by HFSLIP or directly from a tweaked SOURCESS folder.)

Using an XP Home SOURCE, and deleting fdv’s version of this file from the HFSLIP\FDVFILES folder (effectively using the one in the original XP Home SOURCE\i386 directory instead) gets rid of the admtoolw.chm etc errors, and also the HFSLIPnnn.INF file errors you mention in Question 2. However the issue of a desktop with no taskbar, start menu, and desktop icons etc., remains. I don't think the "black desktop" as such is an issue.

With an XP Pro SOURCE folder, and obviously fdv’s version of txtsetup.sif undeleted, said errors do not occur, and there is a viable taskbar etc. after logon, though some “issues” remain. Brabant, in post #65, mentions mofcomp.exe and audio codecs etc.- my post below has a couple of workarounds for this.

The Administrator logon issue referred to in Question 3 probably doesn’t have anything to do with the fdv files as such. A couple of good references on this subject are:

http://www.overclockers.com/windows-xp-unattended-installation-part-ii/

(note what it says about winnt.sif)

and

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/27/SESSID=06b865e538896ca624168c8a4f502bde

Edited by Chapa9ai

• 5 weeks later...

The only file missing is mofcomp.exe (or so). [...] I think it's the audio codecs and/or drivers that take a long time to install. (after a while there's a message that they did'nt pass M$ labs -> 'continue anyway') But then I got a nice empty desktop. [...]

An “amateur workaround” for the mofcomp.exe issue would be as follows:

1) Create the following folder: HFSLIP\SOURCE\$OEM$\$$\SYSTEM32\wbem

2) Get a copy of mofcomp.exe (e.g. use a program like “universal extractor,” extract it from SOURCE\i386\mofcomp.ex_), and put it in the above wbem folder.

The issue involving audio codecs and/or drivers seems to relate to Windows File Protection and “System File Checker” (sfc_os.dll in Win XP).

See:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/76178-45-silent-driver-installation-problem

and

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831583&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH

A workable solution here (see post 12 therein by jdoe) :

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/110834-disable-xp-sfcwfp-works-with-sp3/

For some reason FDV’s sfcfiles.dll (http://www.vorck.com/windows/xpsp4.html under "Shutting off WFP with a hacked DLL") doesn’t seem to work with XP Pro SP3.

:)

Edited by Chapa9ai

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Er- yep.

A belated response, but I've been working on a certain issue for a while.

As far as I can tell XP Pro SP3 with the fdv files is generally stable.

The one thing I haven't been able to do is to get the fdv files, along with an HFSlip version

of XP Pro SP3, to "play nice" with a Hauppauge Nova-S PCI TV tuner card.

Basically the card drivers won't install properly if I include these files..

A Hauppauge utility called "prodinfo" (on the installation CD) gives a

"No Device Data Available" message. This is after the drivers have supposedly been installed "successfully."

I have noticed certain key files don't even get placed in the system32 directory (where they do in the XP version I'm currently using to run the TV card).

Have also done some testing with a program called a program called "EPG Collector" http://sourceforge.net/projects/epgcollector/

This error message shows up in a log file after attempting to run it:

"Exception: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {B64016F3-C9A2-4066-96F0-BD9563314726} failed due to the following error: 80040154."

I believe the fdv fileset removes COM (Component Object Model) related services, but I couldn't work out which files specifically are involved...

Out of ideas and feeling pretty much out of my depth here!

Edited by Chapa9ai

• 4 months later...

So I've got to use XP anyway...

Chapa9ai

Thanks for pointing to sfc_os.dll. It now installs faster and without this nonsense about things being unsigned.

And the mofcomp error is not in the latest file set.

A few things:

I have bmp2png in the windows/system dir. But if I do c:\bmp2png it is an "unrecognized internal or external etc..." , so it can't find the path I'd say.

In the environment variables there is %systemroot%/system and system32 and system32/wbem, all separated by colons. What's going on?

The Effects (under Display Properties -> Appearance) are unavailable. See attached pic if it's unclear what I mean. Having ClearType is essential.

Not sure if the following are sources of these problems but I ran this HFSLIP without any HFs to speed things up and I'm running XP in VPC2007.

post-203993-0-68373400-1362056700_thumb.

Edited by Brabant

Those three greyed out settings get enabled by changing

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\UserPreferencesMask

from "00 00 00 00" to "b0 12 01 80", a value I borrowed from a non-fdv-xp install. I don't know yet if it breaks anything but these things can now be accessed.

Now what's wrong with me %systemroot%\system and other paths?

Edit:

starting a cmd box and giving PATH

gives PATH=C:\WINDOWS; ..etc.. in the non-fdv-xp box but

gives PATH=%SystemRoot%; ..etc.. in fdv-xp

Any ideas about this please?

Edited by Brabant

The Path variable in

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment

must be a REG_EXPAND_SZ and not a REG_SZ like it is in the file set.

Now the command Path gives PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System; ..etc..

But the command %Path% gives 'C:\WINDOWS' is not recognized as an internal..etc..

Is that OK? I thought %Path% should just print the paths without the "PATH=" part. (And Path to be for setting paths or querying if you want)

But the command %Path% gives 'C:\WINDOWS' is not recognized as an internal..etc..

Is that OK? I thought %Path% should just print the paths without the "PATH=" part. (And Path to be for setting paths or querying if you want)

Yes, it's "normal": %path% is NOT a COMMAND :w00t: , it is a VARIABLE :yes: .

Try either of:

SET PATH

ECHO %PATH%

;)

jaclaz

I see

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment","Path",0x00020002,"%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem"

in HIVESYS.INF.

And

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment","Path",,"%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM"

in AXANT5.IN_.

The code above is for including "%SystemRoot%\system" so I'll add 0x00020002 between the commas after Path, maybe they cause the wrong type REG_SZ.

>> Yes, that seems to have done it.

Edited by Brabant

But even so I thought just entering it would print the current path(s).

Well, then, you are insisting in the error. :w00t::ph34r:

PATH is a command (internal to command.com or cmd.exe)

PATH is also a (system/environment) variable %PATH% is expanded to this variable value.

http://ss64.com/nt/path.html

Try this in a command window:

SET notepadr=notepad

%notepad%

SET notepad=paint

%notepad%

SET notepad=mickey mouse

%notepad%

jaclaz

• 1 year later...

FDV:

I am running into a problem (I'm using version 4 of your fileset). When I create an Control Panel folder, instead of it creating a folder called "Control Panel" and it containing the contents of the Control Panel it instead creates a folder called "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}" which has the contents of the Control Panel in it. To create the folder I am using a CMD script with the following command:

md "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"

If I do this with out your fileset it works as it should. If I do this in 2K with your fileset it works as it should.

I as able to find version 3b2 of your fileset. I tried it and it still has the same issue.

I would be more than happy to help you in debugging this.

Thanks in advance.