FDV fileset for XP

fdv

1 - Why are you doing that since it's created in the Default User Profile? Why would you want to duplicate it?

2 - Read these -

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/13280/How-to-display-Windows-Explorer-objects-in-one-com

http://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/launching-windows-special-folders

3 - Go into your Registry and search some of those NameSpace values. ;)

edit - Also note that's a "Classic View" value that 2K does NOT have -and- that XP does -not- by default use/set that (diring Install) but -another- one (Category View - ref above links). Try finding out how to set "classic view" in the Default one instead.

Edited by submix8c

Thanks for the response.

Please forgive me, but I don't understand how those links help with the problem.

I also searched the registry for "21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D" as you sugested, but I fail to see what I'm supposed to do with those results.

Again, creating a folder and naming it "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D} creates a "Control Panel" folder. It does this in Win2K with and without FDV's fileset, and it does this in XP without FDV's fileset. But for some reason it doesn't work when using FDV's fileset. I get a functional folder, but its called "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}" instead of just "Control Panel" So I'm wondering what needs to be changed in the FDV fileset to fix this error.

Let me get this straight. You didn't read everything and did not follow my suggestion.

1 - I asked - WHY - you did NOT answer. <=Please Answer

2 - I suggested changing (for whatever reason - see #1) the Default <=Have you looked into this?

• 2 weeks later...

This error also affects these other Special Folders which I also tried:

Administrative Tools.{D20EA4E1-3957-11d2-A40B-0C5020524153}
Fonts.{D20EA4E1-3957-11d2-A40B-0C5020524152}
My Computer.{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
My Network Places.{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}
Network Connections.{7007ACC7-3202-11D1-AAD2-00805FC1270E}
Printers and Faxes.{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}
Recycle Bin.{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

Edited by JayMan

I didn't answer his question due to the fact that the reason I want to do this has no bearing as to why the FDV fileset is doing this.

Oh, and I am using classic view. Again, the issue is that the FDV fileset seems to be breaking something which is causing this error.

Edited by JayMan

Then I guess we'll all have to wait until FDV happens to see this thread and responds.  He is busy these days and not around much so that might be awhile, but you might also try and contact him through PM.  Did you at least do as submix8c suggested and try using Default, before user creation of course, instead of the AllUsers?  Just a thought.

Cheers and Regards

OK...

Oh, and I am using classic view.

May I say -one- -more- -time- that Classic View has to be set at the time the UserID is... -CREATED- and... THEN the "special folders" can be copied -NOT BEFORE-. That is the EXACT reason for saying -USE DEFAULT PROFILE-.

Yous SEEM to be unaware that the Profile Files/Folders/HIVES do NOT get created -until- First Logon and all -OTHER- Profiles are built during -SETUP- so you can NOT just "copy" them any old time you wish. They MUST be created/set during SYSTEM INSTALL! USE DEFAULT PROFILE!!! ALTER THE INF FILES ACCORDINGLY!!!

Classic View does NOT exist in Windows 2000 AT ALL, since ONLY Classic View exists! It is NOT the FileSet but your METHOD that does not work! PERIOD!

Is that clear enough?

P.S. - I have absolutely NO desire to make the mods. I have no use for them. Pursue your "problem" from the "angle" suggested. I have -not- looked at nLite for "use classic view" but I will BET that it will show which INF files get modified (IF IT DOES THAT)! Please stop being SO darn stubborn to place the fault on the FDV Fileset (which Fred does NOT care about any longer!).

Addendum - apparently nLlite DOES have that option. Investigate THAT and mod YOU stuff accordingly.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/121985-help-needed-regarding-classic-control-center/

Simple - run nLite against your source and CHOOSE THAT ONLY then see what changed.

-DONE DONE DONE-

I suggest you open your OWN topic for help regarding this "option" as you're saying it (FDV set) "fails" when it DOES NOT. (wow...)

HTH

Edited by submix8c

Wow!

I have the classic view set up at installation using a .reg file in the HFSVCPACK folder.

I am also only logging in as admin.

I think you are getting WAY hung up on the fact that the line in the cmd I was using,

md "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"

has %ALLUSERSPROFILE% in it.

This issue occurs when just making a random folder ANYWHERE (C:\, etc) and naming it one of those Special Folders names.

The reason I am thinking its something with FDV fileset is due to the fact that if I make an ISO without it (CHANGING NOTHING ELSE) the issue goes away. If I put the fileset back (CHANGING NOTHING ELSE) the issue comes back. Therefore logic would seem to dictate that something is happening with the fileset.

I can't argue with your logic in general, but while you are waiting for FDV I would suggest trying it in DEFAULT anyway.  For all we know, some of the changes FDV made to his fileset requires that DEFAULT be used.  And if it has the same results, then you can tell us we were wrong with a clear conscience. Obviously, none of us know the answer since we have never tried to do what you are trying, so we are just guessing, but while you are waiting do you have anything else to do?  We're just trying to help, but if you don't want to try our suggestions then we'll leave you alone while you wait.  Good luck.

Cheers and Regards

I'm willing to try.

Please excuse my ignorance (I am relatively new to XP) though - what do you mean by "trying it in DEFAULT"? How do I do that?

lol - yeah, I have other stuff to do. :)

Thanks again.

This is your problem right here (I REPEAT!)

Wow!

I have the classic view set up at installation using a .reg file in the HFSVCPACK folder.

I am also only logging in as admin.

I think you are getting WAY hung up on the fact that the line in the cmd I was using,

md "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"

has %ALLUSERSPROFILE% in it.

This issue occurs when just making a random folder ANYWHERE (C:\, etc) and naming it one of those Special Folders names.

The reason I am thinking its something with FDV fileset is due to the fact that if I make an ISO without it (CHANGING NOTHING ELSE) the issue goes away. If I put the fileset back (CHANGING NOTHING ELSE) the issue comes back. Therefore logic would seem to dictate that something is happening with the fileset.

YOU, sir are "hung up". I have -also- stated (pretty sure) that you should use nLite to see what it changes.

http://obysyam.blogspot.com/2010/03/customize-windows-step-by-step-via.html

If you do a "find" (in the above link) on string "Classic Control Panel" you'll find the setting that I -assume- is for All Users/Default(?). Also, you will "find" by using "Control Panel" there's ANOTHER setting called "Start Menu-Control Panel-Display as a menu" which is EXACTLY what you want.

BTW, in case you didn't notice within the "Documents and Settings" folder there is a folde called (OMG!) DEFAULT and THAT is where a "New User" gets his Profile Info from ON FIRST LOGON to the New User.

Now, if you just TRY using nLite JUST ONCE and set ONLY that, then you'll know EXACTLY how the "Classic" gets set by checking the CHANGED files, in which case you do the EXACT SAME THING.

Please don't be so stubborn. TRY it (nLite) and make corresponding changes post-HFSLIP (since you insist on using it) accordingly. :yes:

HTH :crazy:

• 2 weeks later...

Who said anything about a VARIABLE? It's a FOLDER! It just HAPPENS to be the Default User Profile that get's "copied" into a NEWLY CREATED USER profile. Duh!

Google

xp default profile

Here's some references -

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/6083.windows-xp-folders-and-locations-vs-windows-7-and-vista.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Folders

http://www.deploymaster.com/manual/folders.html

THIS one in particular -

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490855.aspx

I will NOT swear to this, BUT if you "modify" the "x:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile" it MAY work for a NEW USER!

Your PROBLEM is you're trying to MODIFY during INSTALL and the above is for AFTER install. You MUST change a set of INF files (tjhey are COMPRESSED to xxx.IN_ on the Source). I TOLD you to use a BASIC nLite run to see what IT changes and do the SAME THING after-the-fact on HFSLIP. AGAIN, you are being STUBBORN and wasting time. It is IMPOSSIBLE to change this DURING the install on the DEFAULT PROFILE!

Another reference (via the Google search) -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959753

HTH (again...)

edit - In addition at this post (response to ANOTHER request you made), you'll see there's a SPECIAL PLACE in HFSLIP for HIVE mods (which is EXACTLY what you want) -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/169569-video-error-during-install-when-gui-is-started/#entry1080185

Those INF files I mentioned (nLite mods) are EXACTLY what they do - CHANGE HIVES!

Edited by submix8c