What I'm working on

W3bbo

Because I don't have any xpize files on my laptop (and I'm currently away from my main computer) I've been working on something else to pass the time and to add to my resume:

I'm a bit of a nostalgia-tripper: some people (myself included) experience strong emotional effects when reminiscing about past events in life, and lately I've had a few, for example I recently learned my old elementary school was demolished in 2006, which is pretty sad.

So anyway, on that note I thought I'd revisit 1999 again and implement a server for MSN Messenger 1.0 to connect to. Here's a nice screenshot:

M98R5l.png

But I've hit a snag in development: the client hangs after receiving the last of the LST lines. The documents I'm basing my server implementation on predate the release of the official client by a few months and Microsoft made various changes since then.

I've shot emails off to various people who might be able to give me an answer, until then I guess this little project is on hold too.

post-98900-1262815204_thumb.png

Edited by W3bbo

Hello W3bbo, hope had a nice Christmas time. All the best for 2010!

Sorry for that!

I just saw the pictures... - Where is this place and what did happen?

I guess there were no earth quake in Great Britain. They must have took it down. - But why?

(Or do you just study in Great Britain, because I did find Bel Air only in US?)

Edited by MrBusty

I just saw the pictures... - Where is this place and what did happen?

I guess there were no earth quake in Great Britain. They must have took it down. - But why?

(Or do you just study in Great Britain, because I did find Bel Air only in US?)

It's in the Makati area of Manila, the capital of the Philippines, in South East asia. The country that seems to have a popular revolution every 10 years or so. "Bel Air" is the name of the gated community right next door to the school, the campus wasn't officially called that though.

The campus was originally built in the 1920s as The American School (the USA has always had a substantial cultural impression on the country and there are many american expats). The site was extended in the 1970s with the new elementary school (the 4-storey square shaped building) and I went there from 1997 to 1999 (Gr.4 and Gr.5).

In 2002 the school was moved to a new campus a few miles away, leaving the old campus abandoned. It took them 4 years to getting round to knocking it down.

Ok, I see. Did you go there while taking part in an exchange program?

No, my dad's company sent us out there; the family has worked abroad in the past (South Africa, Saudi Arabia, etc) but that was before I was born. There was another opportunity to work on a project in Dubai in 2002 but that one fell-through.

Anyway, on the matter of the project: my server is now nearing completion and I hope to have something showable by the end of the weekend :)

I'll be back in my student hovel by Monday where my xpize files are.

• 4 weeks later...

I've uploaded it to CodePlex: http://pinkegobox.codeplex.com/

Enjoy.

Only MSNP2 is implemented, which means it supports MSN Messenger 1.0 and 2.0, and that's it. I reckon I can go as far as MSNP8, which is MSN Messenger 6, before things start getting too complicated for a single guy to write (because they changed everything in MSNP9).