Windows is Unresponsive When Resuming from Sleep/Hibernation

Brando569

First off Ive been having this problem ever since the beta's were leaked last year and I thought that it might be a bug so I never really pursued it that much up until I tried RC1 and it was still there, I couldn't find an answer for it so just brushed it off since I use linux most of the time anyway. I finally bought a copy of home pro for $30 and was surprised to find that the bug was still there.

Here's the symptoms:

When the computer either hibernates or suspends to ram, it will power up fine but there will be no display on the monitor (its still in "sleep" mode) and the power and reset buttons are completely unresponsive, I have to use the rocker switch on the PSU to power down the computer.

When the computer is sleeping with the hard disks spun down and the monitor turned off but the system is still powered up (not suspended to ram, ex. fans are still runnning), when waking it up it will turn the display back on and I can see my desktop, the cursor will move but everything else in the GUI is completely frozen. About 5% or so of the time it wakes up instantly and everything works fine, the rest of the time it takes between 30 seconds to about 10 minutes to become responsive again, usually leaning towards the 5-10 minute side.

I know its not a video card problem since I have a PCI-E Nvidia 8600 GTS and an onboard ATI card and it happens with both of them, so it must be a problem with the motherboard. When I was researching this before I remember seeing that someone else had this problem and there was a suggestion to update the BIOS, I did so but it didn't seem to fix anything.

Here's my system specs, my c:\ drive is on my 150gb WD raptor

Computer:
Computer Type ACPI x86-based PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
OS Service Pack -
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385
DirectX DirectX 10.1
Computer Name RA
User Name Bran
Logon Domain Ra
Date / Time 2010-01-05 / 20:26

Motherboard:
CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2 Black Edition, 3215 MHz (16 x 201) 6400+
Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H (2 PCI, 3 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset AMD 790GX, AMD Hammer
System Memory 2048 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
DIMM1: Corsair XMS2 CM2X1024-6400 1 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (4-4-4-13 @ 270 MHz)
DIMM2: Corsair XMS2 CM2X1024-6400 1 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (4-4-4-13 @ 270 MHz)
BIOS Type Award Modular (05/18/09)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS (256 MB)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS (256 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
Monitor Dell 2005FPW (Analog) [20" LCD] (T61304AR1W6L)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Realtek ALC889A @ ATI SB750 - High Definition Audio Controller

Storage:
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Disk Drive OCZ-VERTEX ATA Device (29 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro USB Device (3 GB, USB)
Disk Drive WDC WD10EADS-00M2B0 ATA Device (931 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive WDC WD1500ADFD-00NLR5 ATA Device (150 GB, 10000 RPM, SATA)
Disk Drive WDC WD5000AAJS-22YFA0 ATA Device (465 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B ATA Device (DVD+R9:16x, DVD-R9:12x, DVD+RW:20x/8x, DVD-RW:20x/6x, DVD-RAM:12x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
Optical Drive TSSTcorp DVD-ROM SH-D163B ATA Device (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 61439 MB (50326 MB free)
F: (NTFS) 931.5 GB (341.4 GB free)
G: (NTFS) 465.8 GB (223.7 GB free)
Total Size 1457.3 GB (614.2 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Mouse HID-compliant mouse
Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
Primary IP Address 192.168.1.101
Primary MAC Address 00-24-1D-16-24-B6
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20) (192.168.1.101)

Peripherals:
USB1 Controller ATI SB750 - OHCI USB Controller
USB2 Controller ATI SB750 - EHCI USB 2.0 Controller
USB Device Generic USB Hub
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Input Device
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

DMI:
DMI BIOS Vendor Award Software International, Inc.
DMI BIOS Version F3a
DMI System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
DMI System Product GA-MA790GP-UD4H
DMI System UUID 30303234-31443136-32344236-FFFFFFFF
DMI Motherboard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
DMI Motherboard Product GA-MA790GP-UD4H
DMI Chassis Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
DMI Chassis Type Desktop Case
DMI Total / Free Memory Sockets 4 / 2

This right here is the reason why I've never really liked Microsoft products, you pay massive amounts of money for one of their products (yes I know I only spent $30 for it, but if i spent $400 for ultimate and this happened I'd be HIGHLY aggravated) and it doesn't work correctly. Some of you may argue that Linux doesn't work correctly either, but then again I didn't pay a dime for it so I didn't lose anything except maybe time.

Recovery from sleep failures are almost always driver related. You can blame the OS if you'd like, but if it were an OS bug you might have heard more about it on a large scale, found a KB about it at the very least, and given Win7's been RTM since September 2009 there would be a fix for an OS bug that bad by this point. The hardware seems fairly standard, so I wouldn't be able to pinpoint it from a list, but using the directions here might help you pinpoint the culprit.

First step is always to update the BIOS. Windows 7 only supports ACPI. You have to have a compatible BIOS for power options in windows 7 to work. Update the BIOS and go from there. Also check windows event viewer, usually itll say if your BIOS is out of date.

I looked quickly at the data, and there are an abnormal amount of NTFS calls, and I also notice that the Search binaries are abnormally active. This could be because of writing out the ETL log data, but I've not seen fltmgr quite this busy in an xperf trace in an awfully long time. What happens if you disable all of the Windows Search features? Also, a chkdsk /F /V /R /B might be in order on your boot volume.

I disabled indexing on all my drives and ran the chkdsk as you suggested and still got the same results. Here's the files from the second standby trace.

Edit: Here's a third trace after I downloaded the latest drivers and upgraded the BIOS to the latest version and it still happens, this is why I consider this a problem with the OS and a not driver/BIOS problem. This trace is way smaller than the other two for some reason, after I upgraded the BIOS it said it was restoring to the newest BIOS (which I verified was the the version I just upgraded to) and rebooted. I booted into windows and it immediately crashed on me and rebooted itself. Once I logged back in I checked the traces and there were two ETL files (im assuming it started to create one, crashed, then created another one), both were WAY smaller then the previous two by about 53-54 mb. I'll create another one if they aren't useful.

Edited by Brando569

• 1 year later...

First off I do realize that this topic is over a year old but I just wanted to follow up and say that my problem still stands and it isn't related to hardware. It is a problem with Windows 7.

I just did a complete overhaul on my system and switched the processor from an AMD Athlon x2 6400 to an Intel Core i7 950, switched the ram from 2GB of DDR2 to 8GB of DDR3, switched the motherboard from a Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H to an MSI Big Bang Xpower, and upgraded to power supply from a 400 watt Enermax Liberty to a 750 watt Silverstone. I also did a clean install of Windows 7 Home Pro 64 bit. Granted I didn't change the videocard this time but previously when I was testing this initially I did test this out using both my onboard ATI chip and my add-in nVidia 8600 GTS.

My friend also recently built a brand new computer with a Sandybridge based Core i7 and he said he had the same problem (before I ever mentioned it to him).