Assistance please

tlcmd

So my son installed an unauthorized version of Windows XP onto his kids computer last month. now the 30 day window has expired and the copmputer is locked up. How can he remove it and install the original legal Windows 98se which was previously the operating system?

I meanit's locked up. He cannot get to the c prompt or anything.

Thanks,

tlcmd

"Unauthorized" - "30 day expired" = not activated, correct?

Several problems may exist with reloading the original 98SE, so before going further, are there any original 98SE restore CD's available? If not, one might hope that it was an "upgrade" and the 98SE Install files exist in the Windows\Options\Cabs folder. If the HDD was converted to NTFS, using a Emergency Boot Floppy won't work.

So... to start with, go to Bootdisks.com and get 98SE (or Windows ME may be better) Floppy Image, create a Floppy, and boot the other PC with it. If you can read the C-drive, there might be salvation, if any of the old RBxxx.CAB files (needed to get the 98SE key) and the CABS folder still exist. Note that anything other than the Operating System (after reinstall) may be lost.

For that matter, if the original PC has the COA appended (having the Product Key), then you could possibly get the CAB (Install) files from your PC (I note you run 98SE) onto a CD and reinstall from it (still need the Boot Floppy). Means you will have to "blow away" the partition if it was converted to NTFS. Please note that there are extraneous files usually in the CAB folder that you do not want. (more on that later).

Edited by submix8c

Thanks for the info.

"Unauthorized" - "30 day expired" = not activated," is correct. He does have the original 98se disk, 3 1/2 floppy, manual and license code. I'll let you know the results.