WinPE boot disk doesn't see Hard Disk

ZXJacques

Hello All,

Glad to join this community. We have an Acer Aspire M5640 and I have created a WinPE boot disk that boots OK. However I can't access the hard disk using the command prompt or even when I use a recent version of Ghost.

If I take the hard disk to a Pentium IV and use the same WinPE disk it works fine. I installed the Vispa Sp1 WAIK on the system that I'm trying to access the hard disk for imaging purpose. The system is has a Q6600 Quad core with SATA drives.

What should I look For to solve this?

Regards,

ZXJacques

First I'd try creating a WinPE 3.0 disc from the WAIK for Win7 to see if that finds it, and if not you're going to have to use DISM to add the SATA chipset drivers to your PE disc before it'll find a hard drive.

cluberti,

I have used my Acer (with Vista) to create the WinPE boot disk using WAIK. So it should already have the suitable drivers for the sata disks.

I don't have Windows 7 so I can't use WAIK for Windows 7.

Edited by ZXJacques

Just because you built a PE image on a machine doesn't mean it has that machine's drivers built in (it doesn't - and in fact, PE has far fewer drivers than the full Windows OS, for obvious reasons). Also, you can use the WAIK for Windows 7 on Vista and 2003 machines (no XP support, but 2003 SP2 and newer), so I would suggest downloading and using the Win7 WAIK on your Vista machine to create a WinPE 3.0 image before giving up ;).

Instructions for making a custom PE image with the Win7 WAIK are on Technet here.

But, if you really want to stick with Windows AIK for Vista SP1 - which IMO was the best thing to come out of the Vista era - use peimg. For example:

peimg /inf=c:\mydevice.inf c:\winpe_x86\mount\windows

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...161(WS.10).aspx

When changing WAIK versions, it is recommended to uninstall an existing version using Control Panels.

Regards :)