Is this method complete?`

Hi guys,

I found this on some forum, but when I tried it, the method is not working for me. I think after creating install.wim I need to create boot.wim as well. If some learned person can help me in doing this so that I can create an insallation DVD from my customized installed Windows 7?????????????????

If I need to create boot.wim as well then please guide me in this method.

How many times have you done a fresh install of Windows 7, and wish it came all prepared with your favorite software, already installed, and already activated ?

It is possible.

These instructions are for x86 (32-Bit) Windows Install.

Tools you will need :

A Spare Hard Drive at least 20 gigs in size.

The Windows 7 Auto Install Kit (AIK) ( Not the Beta, IT WILL NOT WORK)

A Genuine Windows 7 RTM Key

A Windows 7 RTM x86 ISO

UltraIso

Install x86 Ultimate to your Hard drive

When install is finished and at your desktop:

1. Activate Windows using your Product key

2. Install all your favorite Software - Activate it, and update it.

WARNING

Dont over do it ( like i did ), the image must remain under 4.5 gig, unless you burn to a dual layer.

3. Change Desktop background, Folder Settings, Display Options, Mouse pointer Speed etc.

4. Reboot to make sure windows update got installed properly.

5. Open Administrative cmd, and run System File check to make sure your system files are all ok

sfc /scannow

6. Reboot back into your main Windows Installation.

7. Open administrative cmd prompt, and entered the following commands :

You NEED the Final Windows 7 AIK - The Beta DOES NOT WORK

cd\

cd\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86

imagex /compress maximum /flags "Ultimate" /capture x: y:\install.wim "Windows 7 Ultimate"

WHERE:

X is the drive you just installed all your software to.

Y is where you will save your install.wim file, this generally would be c:\

"Windows 7 Ultimate" is a label for the build

8. Open UltraISO.

Open your Windows 7 Ultimate x86 iso.

Navigate to the sources folder and delete the install.wim

Drag your new install.wim into the sources folder.

Save the ISO.

You Now have a Windows Install dvd, packed with all your favorite software, all your personalised settings, and its activated.

Burn your image to dvd.

Edited by nice_guy75

To create a boot.wim PE image, consider looking up how to create one on Technet. As to the image itself, it's only valid for the exact machine and hardware it was activated on, and you won't be able to take it anywhere else and use it, just fyi. Also, if you have a running system you want to back up, just use Windows backup (it has a PC backup option) - you can restore this using the regular Win7 install media later if you need to (you can only backup to a network in Professional and up, but you can backup/restore ANY version of 7 to a non-network location with any version).

Yes brother I wish to use this only on my system but I wish to make a installation DVD not a backup, I hope I am using the right terms and making myself clear to you.

Acually I wish to make a customized windows 7 for my laptop so that if I wish to format my C drive in the future I don't have change each and everything after installing my OS.

I think after creating install.wim I need to create boot.wim as well.

LOL, you know what they say about thinking. (DON'T) Re-read / follow the instructions a little closer, they look correct to me. Do not add any extra steps and you should be fine. Boot.wim is already present in your RTM DVD.

DVD\Sources\Boot.wim

These instructions are for x86 (32-Bit) Windows Install.

Tools you will need :

A Spare Hard Drive at least 20 gigs in size.

The Windows 7 Auto Install Kit (AIK) ( Not the Beta, IT WILL NOT WORK)

A Genuine Windows 7 RTM Key

A Windows 7 RTM x86 ISO It's in here.

UltraIso

Alternatively you can extract your entire DVD to your HDD, and simply copy/replace your captured install.wim with the original in the sources folder.
Copy/Extract your Windows 7 Ultimate x86 iso to your HDD.

Navigate to the sources folder and delete the install.wim

Drag your new install.wim into the sources folder.

Make and Burn ISO with vLite, using the create ISO tab.

Or use whatever ISO creation software you prefer, many can do the trick. I only mention vLite because most readers already have a copy.

EDIT: When talking about GUI based ISO editors, there are rumors that only PowerISO can properly edit the Windows.ISO format. Other software's mess up ISO when editing. Can anyone confirm ?

Edited by MrJinje

• 2 weeks later...
cd\

imagex /compress maximum /flags "Ultimate" /capture x: y:\install.wim "Windows 7 Ultimate"

I try to use this methode, but I have Seven Home Premium. Can you tel me please the good command line please.

Because after created the install-wim and created a new DVD, I booted on the DVD but when I must chose the OS and the partition it told

me thant it can't find the OS or the image.

Help me please !

After I try to use gimagex :

imagexl.jpg

And it was the same !

Thanks

cd\

I try to use this methode, but I have Seven Home Premium. Can you tel me please the good command line please.

Because after created the install-wim and created a new DVD, I booted on the DVD but when I must chose the OS and the partition it told

me thant it can't find the OS or the image.

Help me please !

After I try to use gimagex :

imagexl.jpg

And it was the same !

Thanks

I also got the same problem then some learned person told me to create a catalog file as well with the help of windows system image manager. But remember to sysprep your installed OS before capturing the image. I couldn't tried this so please try it and let me know the results. I did try to sysprep but I am getting error message "fatal error occurred while trying to sysprep the machine".

Though when I tried to boot my laptop my user accounts are deleted means it got syspreped not sure completely or partially.

You give it a try and let us know.

Ok now is better.

I created a catalogue with windows system image manager. And it's works, but now I have just a little problem.

After the install I have this 2 folders :

dossiersvirer.jpg

$Windows...

Do you know how to delete it automaticely ?

Thanks

Ok now is better.

I created a catalogue with windows system image manager. And it's works, but now I have just a little problem.

After the install I have this 2 folders :

dossiersvirer.jpg

$Windows...

Do you know how to delete it automaticely ?

Thanks

Congrats brother, but its not working for me. My install.wim is not opening in WSIM. Did you sysprep your machine and did your sysprep went smoothly?????????????

Anyways to delete those folders you can add a cmd file with "del /s" or "del tree" command and put its shortcut in the startup folder, so with the first boot it will delete both the folders.

Edited by nice_guy75

Ok I try to explain, but my english is not very good.

1: I work on a computer with seven. I did an image disk with Acronis True Image because I test my new Seven DVD with reel install not with virtual machine.

2: I install waik for Seven. it's important, for Seven. I copy the folder of waik in an other partition. And I put inside waik/tools/x86 the program gimagex .(Because I am in 32bits, but if you are in 64 bits go in waik/tool/ia64)

3: Then I install Windows Seven on my c: partition. I tweak it and configure the basic thing. But don't move the documents folder, it's better.

4: Now, I start my computer on a Bart PE CD-Rom or a Windows Live DVD.

5: I go on the partition with waik in the folder waik/tools/x86 (Because I am in 32bits, but if you are in 64 bits go in waik/tool/ia64).

6: And I start gimagex in capture mode :

imagexl.jpg

Chose the right version of your Seven. Wait the end 15-30 min.

7: Now I reinstall my ghost image that I did in step 1 with my normal configuration.

8: I creat a folder on a partition and I copy the original DVD of Seven, inside.

9: Then I copy the new install.wim in the folder "\source" of the original dvd and replace the original install.wim

10: Then start in waik the windows system image manager :

2k8MasterImg01.jpg

11: Go in menu "File" and chose "Select Windows image" and select your install.wim that you put in the folder, step 8-9

12: Windows system image manager ask to creat catalog, say yes and wait the end

13: when it has finish close windows system image manager

14: Create your new iso of Seven with Vlite or 7Customizer

15: Burn

16: Finish

I also got the same problem then some learned person told me to create a catalog file as well with the help of windows system image manager. But remember to sysprep your installed OS before capturing the image. I couldn't tried this so please try it and let me know the results. I did try to sysprep but I am getting error message "fatal error occurred while trying to sysprep the machine".

Though when I tried to boot my laptop my user accounts are deleted means it got syspreped not sure completely or partially.

It sounds like something is up with your sysprep or your laptop OS, either way, it may be quicker/easier to install a fresh image in a VM and see if that will sysprep properly. If the VM fails too, my first question would be whether or not you vLited your DVD (or any other method to remove components). Otherwise if it works, just install your apps, configure your settings, and sysprep the VM. The captured image should work just fine on real machines.

It sounds like something is up with your sysprep or your laptop OS, either way, it may be quicker/easier to install a fresh image in a VM and see if that will sysprep properly. If the VM fails too, my first question would be whether or not you vLited your DVD (or any other method to remove components). Otherwise if it works, just install your apps, configure your settings, and sysprep the VM. The captured image should work just fine on real machines.

Tried on other OS as well but not working even just after installation. Anyways will try on some other OS as well.

Hey cool

Can you please tell me which version of Acronis True image have you used???????? I tried once but it is clonning the enitre hard drive not a Partition. How did you do it if you can provide some screenshots as well that would be great.

Secondly, I am little confused as well, You have installed installed Windows 7 in step 3 in the same drive whose image you have made with True image in step 1, means you have formated your C drive in the step 3 to install your windows 7 and then customize it. After customization you have used Bart PE CD ROM and then capture the image using gimagex right???????

Can you please give the link of Bart PE CD ROM as i don't have any live CD or DVD???????

Hi nice guy75,

Why don't you create and use WinPE CD ? You can customize it by including the GimageX tool.

I have tried with WinPE bootable pen drive, I have also captured the install.wim but when I see the install.wim it's is ZERO BYTES and guess what it took almost one hour to capture that image an what I get in the end an install.wim with a size of zero bytes. I have followed this method to make winPE RAM disk on USB flash drive.

and I have copied the entire Windows AIK folder from C drive to D drive and used gimagex.exe.