Windows 7 time problem

arun.m

i have installed windows 7 ultimate ion my pc.Now a days i have noticed that my system time is going corrupted.I have check the bios battery no problem found.i have corrected the time for many times but the timeis going wrong always.....

Arun.m,

Did you have another operating system installed on this machine previously? If so was there a similar problem with the time? What exactly is the problem? Is the clock slow or fast? Is it consistantly slow or fast or is it erratically changing? Have you set up the internet time correction? Windows will correct the time on a weekly basis by default but you can change this to any time interval you want by altering a registry key.

Cheers

please... Don't think i am mad.. :D

i am so crazy about OS.

I have installed Redhat,xp,server2003,vista,2008,win 7. on my my system.

i am not installing these all for the first time.i have installed all these before but there is no time problem at that time.

recently i have reinstall my system(reinstall all OS once more) after that i experience this problem. i have corrected the time so many times.but no use...the time is always resetting.please help.........

arun.m

I understand your frustration but you really need to answer the questions if you want help. Hopefully if you answer the questions we can narrow down the cause of the problem. By reading your reply I understand that you have many operating systems installed at this time. Is the problem with all of these systems or just with Win 7?

when the time of system is changed by OS the time in bios also have been changed.i have also disable the synchronize the time with any time servers. i have a doubt of any virus cause is their any virus that do so..

There is something in common to all the Windows OS and not in common to Linux concerning system time. All Windows OS will use W32Time to contact the Microsoft Time Server in order to get the correct time. Make sure this service is running, and also that your firewall isn't blocking it or the address it wants to go to.

i have also disable the synchronize the time with any time servers.

That's your problem, no internet time sync + your CPU clock is likely borked, this can happen, quartz crystals are not permanent time devices, they can become inaccurate if damaged or exposed to heat for prolonged periods (i.e. normal wear and tear).

The quick fix is to re-enable your machine to synchronize with a time server or to get a new motherboard.

Though I am not sure I believe the statement that your clock runs fine on Linux but not windows. Maybe RedHat has a faster interval for syncing with an Internet Time Server. If you follow the below method you should be able to adjust your sync interval in Windows clients and achieve the desired result (i.e. have the correct time displayed) If you set it to 900 seconds, that means it will update every 15 minutes. If your machine clock gets messy after only 15 minutes, something is definitely wrong, maybe time for a new mobo.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314054

Correct - Win7 syncs with the hardware clock on boot, and then will use either the hardware clock or an internet time server to continue synchronizations over the course of being up and running. If you aren't using an external time source, that means w32time is using the hardware clock - thus if you're skewing, it's your hardware. Suggestions of using a time server at regular (somewhat short, perhaps every hour or so) intervals isn't a bad idea, and it's cheaper than a new motherboard too.

Maybe RedHat has a faster interval for syncing with an Internet Time Server.
For reference, Red Hat (and Fedora, and most linux distributions at this point) use ntpd for keeping a clock in synch, and it will check this every 1 - 17 minutes, depending on your connection, the amount of skew between what the time "should" be and what the system is reporting, and the quality of time at the time sources. Given that Windows' time synchronization (since XP) in a workgroup/home machine setting is once per week, this could explain why Windows skews so much, and a linux OS little or not at all. If the OP was to change the scheduled task for setting time from once a week to every 15 or 30 minutes, to more closely match ntpd, there would probably be no issues at all under Windows either.