Compatibility checklist

CutTheGrass

I am stuck on what compatibility options i need because each one i search up on Google sound important. (not all of them mind you, but ones like Prefetch, IIS, and Windows Activation and Sysprep) lots of sites i read the tutorials on are using older versions. I just downloaded it yesterday so mine is up to date. Also most of the sites recommend not checking ANY of them but that seems risky to me. I'm not so much trying to slim it down drastically, because i'll need cameras and printers.

I want to do what most everyone using this tool wants to do: cut down the bloat and get rid of stuff i never use thats taking up room, and to have windows set up the way that i set it up EVERY time i install windows from gui tweaks to 3rd party programs i use on a daily basis.

I just want to know what is safe NOT to include on the compatibility checklist that i absolutely will not miss.

Edited by CutTheGrass

CutTheGrass, please Edit (full edit) and change your title to something more germane. The Forum Rules (see link at top) look askance on these types of titles.

Now, I check nothing in the Compatibility list. This list just prevents you from removing components that are needed in those areas. At the bottom of the Component Removal section is a drop list labeled Presets. There are a couple of predefined ones there. It has been a long time, but I think I started with the safe one and then removed a few more things I knew I would never need. A caution; once removed, components are very difficult to reinstall. You have good reason to be careful. Enjoy, John.

thanks for the tip, i hope this title is better. If not maybe a hint might help :)

So when i check those boxes it just removes the option to remove them from the setup choices in the next step?

If i worded it funny forgive me, i hope you understand what i'm trying to say

thanks for the tip, i hope this title is better. If not maybe a hint might help :)

So when i check those boxes it just removes the option to remove them from the setup choices in the next step?

If i worded it funny forgive me, i hope you understand what i'm trying to say

Yes, it protects those features if you select them.

CutTheGrass, great title, thanks! Your statement is correct. NLite is fun to play with. Just try some things and see what happens. I suggest you consider a virtual system (VMware Server, VirtualPC and VirtualBox are all free) for testing and playing. Here is my standard inculcation if you have problems: Please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

Thanks. I kinda figured it out on my own after i posted the last reply. Had i went past that part i would have seen that it opens more options in terms of customization. I don't like to take steps in new software without knowing whats next. I take caution with anything these days mainly because i hate re-installing everything...it gets tedious.

In terms of a virtual machine, what would run best on a 1.8 ghz with 256mb ram (i know its kind of weak but its a new build from old parts and haven't up'd the ram yet.

I'll be checking back with any questions on future things. Thanks for helpin a newbie in need.

Edited by CutTheGrass

CutTheGrass, I don't know what OS you will be nLiteing, but if it is XP x64, then you need VMware Server or VirtualBox because only they support x64. They all support 32 bit XP. VMware Server is by far the largest (DL probably greater than 500 MB), so please do some searching and consider VirtualPC or VirtyalBox. I use neither (I'm using x64), so I cannot recommend. Enjoy, John.