Found a possible IE8 addon but how to use .7z file? Is it just a cab?

benbenno

Yeah hey, here i found the addon...

http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?/to...enu-true-addon/

but its a zipped .7z file, is that just a cab that nlite will understand and process

or do i have to do something else to it first

if u think this ie8 addon is fake or not good

where is the best one (that simple and dont need no commands/switches/registry edits or messin around)

benbenno, that one is probably OK. I would suggest this one. At the top of the nLite forum is a sub-forum for AddOns and also RayanVM has lots of AddOns and Update Packs. These are just added to the nLite Hot Fix section (they are not CABs, but non-slipstreamed AddOns are). Be sure to add any IE8 updates after the AddOn for IE8. Enjoy, John.

kontini's addon is up to date and should be preferred, even though I've never used it. Sereby concentrates more on the German version, so the English addon is usually out of date as it is now. We can't assume that nLite can update IE8 addons unless they've been built with that in mind—like mine ;).

YumeYao's addon is another possibility, but requires some editing to work properly with nLite.

Edited by 5eraph

hmmm lots to choose from lol cheerss guys

I actually think RayansVM is the same they seem to download the same file

Sp0iLedBrAt cheers i thats where i got the one i mentioned. Gonna try it 1st see what happens

Addons that need editing personally i think are disfunctional, theyre hardly an addon if u got manipulate it later hey.

But i good group of links here guys maybe this post can be a quick reference for all others needing one.

johnhc, ur saying that adding hotfixes after the IE8 addon will be successful? no errors will occur? Its possible that one of these addons already have the updates in them, which i may not know which ones, and then i go add in evey IE8 hotfix and there possibly could be a conflict because the hotfix already exists. True or will it just overwrite?

Cheers

benbenno, I use XP x64 and an IE8 slipstream AddOn that has no updates. I then add what updates I can via the Hot Fix section and some that will not integrate I use the Kurt_Aust technique to add them via the RunOnce exit in the Unattended task. I also use his method to add DirectX9 (to answer your other post). Enjoy, John

• 1 month later...
Yeah hey, here i found the addon...

http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?/to...enu-true-addon/

but its a zipped .7z file, is that just a cab that nlite will understand and process

or do i have to do something else to it first

if u think this ie8 addon is fake or not good

where is the best one (that simple and dont need no commands/switches/registry edits or messin around)

BenB, You think much as 'Ol school me .. and you likely have your answer to 7z query But...

for what it's worth check http://www.7-zip.org/support.html

Trust you find 7zip as the best for compressed file handling- in all formats- As I Do.

Heck - I'm still trying to figure out how to come up with a min. FAILsafe nLited XP-Cd

integrating at least SP3 + IE7 (or IE8 if now finally deemed superior)..

and still provide 'Repair Install' And 'Recovery' options; in view of these last postings at:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...grade&st=20

Yet as a pure nLite noob, there is much to be learned with input from 'maestros' as yourself +

Johnhc, Sp0iLedBrAt, et al ... all who are way more capable than I.

with my many THX

Staff

• 7 months later...

Well, as far as I see this post, I believe you are asking how to use the 7z file you downloaded. Just open nlite and in the update packs, hotfixes and add-ons section, browse for this 7z file and nLite fill do the rest. No worries at all!!

Just open nlite and in the update packs, hotfixes and add-ons section, browse for this 7z file and nLite fill do the rest. No worries at all!!

WHen trying to use a 7z file, Nlite pops up an error message saying "Unsupported File"

I've tried reinstalling 7zip and setting it as default for 7z files. I can double-click any 7z file and it opens in 7zip as it should. But Nlite still errors.. Anyone had this and knows how to fix it?