What are the requirements of becoming a hacker.

PROBLEMCHYLD

I was just reading a headline on my cell phone about the U.S. Cyber Challenge.

Now these skills i wish to acquire is not for illegal benefit. I have also learn that hackers are very intelligent people.

So i want to become a hacker. To my knowledge hacking is not illegal. I am still a amature to the computer world but i have learned over the past years.

Where do i began.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

The line between an ethical hacker and a kacker with bad intentions is very thin and ultimately it depends on YOU as a person where you want to stand. A hacker is first of all a good network administrator, with sound knowledge of networking, protocols and firewalls. In order to stop a hacking attack, one MUST know the mechanisms used by the person who is conducting the attack, therefore is a "hacker" himself. For me, a hacker is nothing more than a kiddie with some knowledge in scripting and networking, REAL hackers very rarely call themselves as such... They conduct their practices mostly unknown, even to close friends / family.

I disagree with the advanced knowledge thing, although times are definately changed. All you really need is a good intuition and the ability to figure things out. For example, if you are able to understand a programming language (by looking at a program, or the source of a product) and figure out what it is doing without knowing the language itself, that is a minimum. There is no real way to define what is required.

Hacking generally involves a bit of anonymity too, so posting about it on an indexed internet site might not be a good idea long-term, either ;).
CATCH22 :

Everyone can ask how to become a hacker.

If you ask how you'll never be able to become one.

I'm aware that hackers are secretive, but guess what? those same hackers have learned their skill from someone, something or somebody.

A person don't wake up and decides he or she are a pilot. They have to be taught how to fly a plane or they will crash.

Same with hackers, they don't wake up and say i know how to read a source right off the bat after only seeing it once.

So in other words in order for me to become a hacker i have to learned the fundamentals/basics etc.....

I'm sure when i do become a hacker i'm not going to walk around with a sticky saying I'M A HACKER.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

What are the requirements of becoming a hacker.
There are none, becoming a hacker is simply a matter of telling people you are a hacker, usage of the term is not regulated by any governing body and as such anyone can claim to be a hacker. Feel free to put it on your business card or resume. This is different from calling oneself a Doctor, where a Doctorate can only be obtained through accredited universities and the certain govt's have laws against impersonating a Doctor. Do you understand ? There are no requirements
So in other words in order for me to become a hacker i have to learned the fundamentals/basics etc.....
There is no secret handshake we can teach you (LOL- unless using PKey encryption) to avoid having to learn the basics. 12 year old super-hackers who can take down the govt with a captain crunch whistle do not exist anymore.

In fact the only movie ever to use a realistic hack (SSHNUKE is not real) was the Matrix Reloaded when Trinity used NMAP and ran a port scan.

trinitymatrix.png

This is no help to me. What is it i need to learn to become a hacker period.........

I don't care what other people have on their computer if i did i could just break in their house, but thats not my objective.

My objective is to learn a challenging skill and do something constructive. If you can't help me obtain that then you need to spin off of my topic.

What books etc.... Programming language etc...... What type of OS i should use etc.... Now do you understand ?

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

No, because the question is asinine - the answer is the desire itself. If you want to reverse engineer/develop countermeasures/etc, you simply learn how to do those things. The term "hacker" is pretty vague in and of itself (and those older amongst us will probably view a "hacker" differently from what the term has become over the last 10 years or so), and being a hacker simply means you have skills and you use them certain ways. If you want to learn to do things that will allow you to "hack" at sofware, for example, you learn C, C++, assembler, etc., and how to use (and abuse) debuggers. If you want to reverse-engineer, you will need to know how something works "forward engineered" first, then you work on reversing using previously mentioned skills.

I guess the problem is you want to learn to do something that isn't really "something" at all - hacking is simply using skills in manners that perhaps weren't intended on their targets in... interesting and sometimes useful ways. I'm assuming you mean a hacker who hacks at computer programs, rather than security hacking or social engineering, etc. - but again, there are all kinds of things that could be deemed "hacking", and pretty much all of them are using the "hacking" terminology to mean someone who is using a certain skillset (probably in this case programming, disassembly, reversing, and otherwise debugging) for ends that weren't necessarily intended uses of whatever it is that person is "hacking" at.

I don't mean to be rude, but the question is best left to be pondered by the person posing the question - whatever "thing" it is you desire to "hack", learn (and perfect, as much as possible) the skills needed to be good at doing that "thing" first. Then start going at it in all of the unusual ways you can think of, and you're "hacking". It's not much more complicated than that. The notion that there is a specific OS to use, or a specific skillset is simply something you learn from traditional media stereotypes (movies, news, etc) that don't really exist in the "real world" where most of us actually reside. I have known quite a few good "hackers" in my day, and none of them were stereotypical (they regularly bathed, had families/weren't loners, didn't dress in T-Shirts and ratty jeans, didn't have posters for anime or sci-fi about their work or living areas, only one actually used Linux to hack, etc).

The term "hacker" is pretty vague in and of itself (and those older amongst us will probably view a "hacker" differently from what the term has become over the last 10 years or so), and being a hacker simply means you have skills and you use them certain ways. If you want to learn to do things that will allow you to "hack" at sofware, for example, you learn C, C++, assembler, etc., and how to use (and abuse) debuggers. If you want to reverse-engineer, you will need to know how something works "forward engineered" first, then you work on reversing using previously mentioned skills.
Yep, my given handle was "Sky King" (on mainframe IBM OS, not PC) because I had once corrected two techies when I was a relative newbie. No stigma there and went on to become a general-purpose "live tech manual". So, I agree that the question is irrelevant in that one studies what one has an interest in learning and doing, not what one "wants to be". You answer yourself, you see...

(BTW, the method mentioned herein is how I got there...)

A person don't wake up and decides he or she are a pilot. They have to be taught how to fly a plane or they will crash.

There is education you go through to becoming a pilot.

"Hacker" isn't on the course selection list at any colleges universities that I have ever heard of.

Edited by Jeremy

If you want to learn to do things that will allow you to "hack" at sofware, for example, you learn C, C++, assembler, etc., and how to use (and abuse) debuggers. If you want to reverse-engineer, you will need to know how something works "forward engineered" first, then you work on reversing using previously mentioned skills.

This was really helpful.

Well thank you guys some help is better than none. I do have the desire to learn and I will one way or another.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

There is education you go through to becoming a pilot.

"Hacker" isn't on the course selection list at any colleges universities that I have ever heard of.

LOL either is president of the USA but you can become one. You can become a hacker too. Even just starting out you are a hacker, but there are different levels of hacking knowledge you can gain. Like someone who only just started racing mountain bikes a few weeks ago could say they race and are a racer instead of a casual rider. You have to do certain things to become some titles, but I wouldn't say becoming a hacker needs you to do any minimal level of something. What cluberti said was pretty good.