Windows XP w/SP3

NtegrA

So it's been a pretty long while since I've been around. Last thing I tried before leaving was a slipping of SP3 into my source, however I could never get a good result so I settled with updating SP2.

Recently I decided I would give it another go. However I still cannot get SP3 to work. Can anyone tell me why HFSLIP either

a. will not slip SP3 into my source OR

b. when using a source that already contains SP3 (SW_CD_Windows_XP_Professional_32BIT_English_ISO_MLF_X15-05160.iso from MS Vol Lic site) will remove SP3? Winver reports XP rtm.SP2 2600.040803-2158. Windows Update wants to install SP3 when I check for updates.

It's gotta be something simple (and minded), right?

I've attached my last run of HFSLIP-1.7.9 (using option f.) & my WU1.txt from my failed (not SP3) win install

hfslip.zip

Looks like you got the source in two places. You only need it source. You should probably leave the path as default when prompted on the screen too, unless you are trying to install via a network (unsupported). Last but not least, double check your hotfixes against Mimo's or muppet hunter's list. I see two foreign updates there.

I suppose you put your XP into REPLACE\I386.You have to move it to SOURCE directory.

not sure what you mean here. Of course my source is in source.

NEVERMIND. It has sunk in. I am correcting it now. Thanks for the second/third set of eyes

Edited by NtegrA

Looks like you got the source in two places. You only need it source. You should probably leave the path as default when prompted on the screen too, unless you are trying to install via a network (unsupported). Last but not least, double check your hotfixes against Mimo's or muppet hunter's list. I see two foreign updates there.

I used Mimo's list. I believe I had also tried with most hotfixes removed (nothing on any of the update lists). Which two hotfixes are you seeing (that could be enough to "remove" sp3)? In the meantime, I'll try removing ALL hotfixes just to see.

About the path, I have tried both. AND yes, I have always done a network (unsupported) install (just see my earlier posts [grin]) and it's always worked great (for the most part). What I do is copy the I386 dir to the hard drive during install (C:\source\i386). I have tried leaving off the path and installing from ISO with the same results.

two sources....hmmmm....now that I look at it and go back to Parseus' commet.....I don't remember putting that I386 in REPLACE (now I know I must be getting old). Here I am watching the build process and thinking to myself that the files it was showing as "replace\xxxx" were files from say the WORK directory.

....I guess THAT must be causing my problem. Will remove and try again. Thanks guys.

Edited by NtegrA

Thanks again guys! This must have been my problem way back (late 08) when I first attempted. It may be possible that I dragged my old source into REPLACE instead of deleting it when I first changed my source to SP3. WOW...ROOKIE MOVE...that is pretty bad. Now to work on the "missing" .MUI errors....

Edited by NtegrA