what am I doing wrong?

tjfreemanjr

I have attempted to strip down my Windows7 installation 6 or 7 times. Each time I burn a new DVD it is still about 1.3GB on the DVD and the install is still 7GB on my netbook. I can't figure out if I am just missing a step or what. I've tried using one of the presets and I've deselected the items I don't want and each time I rebuild I seem to keep getting the same footprint on my netbook. What step am I missing?

• 2 weeks later...

your installed size is big coz of Page File (virtual memory)

which is set up by OS itself 1.5 x your RAM (if i'm not mistaken with multiplier)

also WinSxS component adds another ~500 MB to installed size

+ some others...

people usualy use DISM to get ridd of such components coz vLite is sensitive in removing them

Correct though the pagefile ends up as big as your current/total RAM is. I think my installation on a 16GB SSD was 4-5GB with updates + pagefile.

My tip would be to turn off hibernation (mine, both on desktop/netbook was as big as the pagefile) by typing: powercfg -h off in the command prompt. Turning off UAC (User Account Control) is essential for this as it won't let you fiddle with stiff like this, or unless anyone knows a better way.