Can't find a driver?

Fredledingue

That's what I have done with my new Trust drawing tablet tb7300.

I think it can be helpful to share my experience and that it can be applied to other hardwares.

Anecdote:

I easily bypassed the warning by clicking setup.exe but after installation of the original driver my computer crashed and couldn't even restart in safe mode. :o

So even not loading the driver caused a crash. The installation modified a core system file.

I had to recopy the system files in dos mode.

This distraction made the following steps a bit more complicated but ok.

As forcing the driver installation for tb7300 failed I tried an older driver, the tb4200 model. It was specificaly designed for w98 and still available on Trust's website.

I installed it and it worked eventhought the tb4200 is a significantly different product and several years older!

But I went further: I found the tb7300 files in a folder where they had been extracted during the first attempt as well as the inf file where the installation instructions were saved.

Many of the files for the new model were the same as for the old model, some were different but with the same name and a few ones were added. I added the new files and replaced the old files by the new ones except one file which gave a missing export error.

Finaly I tweaked up the ini file because the tablet surface didn't match the screen and after a few tests everything worked fine.

(Well, almost: the extra functions don't work, but I don't care about that.)

So when you see a warning that your hardware is not compatible with your OS, keep in mind that one should never say never. :hello:

So when you see a warning that your hardware is not compatible with your OS, keep in mind that one should never say never. :hello:

...and if I may :unsure:, before "blindly" running a setup.exe, try using Universal Extractor or 7-zip, possibly you can get the files inside it withouy "hosing" a system. ;)

jaclaz

Yes, I tried to. But 7-zip couldn't open the cab files. I'll give a try with Universal Extractor the next time.

Anyway it shouldn't be dangerous to force an install, and it was necessary to run setup.exe to apply the right install procedure, which is impossible to do for a driver without advanced instructions.

Normaly w98 should always be able to restart in safe mode. Why it couldn't is beyond me.

Edited by Fredledingue

Yes, I tried to. But 7-zip couldn't open the cab files. I'll give a try with Universal Extractor the next time.

hi,

7-zip can open the cab files

What version do you have ?

In the 4.65 version, look the options

( tools > options > system > select the files you want that 7-zip open)

;)

Edited by patclash

Some of the CAB files found inside such installers are not 7z/rar/zip/ms-zip/lzh compatible, they are custom CABs built by the developer [mostly the ones by Install Shield], and to date I haven't found a tool able to extract files from them. :(

Install Shield [under new ownership: Flexera]:

http://www.flexerasoftware.com/products/installshield.htm

Flexera Helpnet:

http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/

HTH