Unattended win7 question

You wont be able to capture a usable live image. Capturing an image requires access to every bit of information on the hard drive you are capturing (I lie... Technically you only need access to the entire volume, assuming you are using ImageX. Ghost does, in fact require access to the entire drive.).

When Windows is running there are many files that are locked from reading and writing, because the functionality and stability of Windows is dependant upon these key files.

Additionally, there are many changes that Windows makes to the hard drive right before shutting the system down... This is how, for example, Windows knows when you have unexpectedly shut down your computer due to power outage or otherwise (a message appears at boot time saying Windows wasn't shut down properly, and a check disk should be run)

To capture an image of your hard drive, you will either need to use something like WinPE or BartPE. These minimal OS's are loaded from CD/DVD, USB flash, or network, and so no files are locked on the hard drive you are trying to image.

If you download Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK), there is a great tutorial on how to build WinPE. (In the WinPE User's Guide).

Just one more quick note... ImageX is not included, by default, in the base WinPE image included with WAIK. You'll need to add that to be able to utilize ImageX from within WinPE. (I can't remember if this is a "package" for WinPE, or if you have to add it separately, but the full instructions should be in the WinPE User's Guide included with WAIK. Let me know if this isn't the case...)

Or Acronis True Image will capture a running Windows. Personally I reboot and capture from a F11 boot option

with Seven Pro or ultimate you also get this

In addition to full-system Backup and Restore found in all editions, you can back up to a home or business network.

I haven't heard of a bootcd command, as part of the standard Windows deployment tools. I did notice, after googling, that it looks like it is a command line switch for Symantec's Ghost, to prepare captured Ghost images as a bootable CD.

Could you elaborate a little bit, on exactly what you are trying to accomplish? I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to achieve...

As for imagex, by itself, the only preparation that really needs to be done is sysprepping your Windows installation before capturing. Then, it is very straight forward... Capture your image, then, on your target computer(s), just apply the image, and let it boot up.