Search exclusions

cure

I just discovered the files in the Temporary Internet Files folder are hidden from the search function unless the search has as its focus precisely that folder. Are there other folders in the Windows directory that are similarly hidden? And how can this 'feature' be turned off?

Thanx.

I just discovered the files in the Temporary Internet Files folder are hidden from the search function unless the search has as its focus precisely that folder. Are there other folders in the Windows directory that are similarly hidden? And how can this 'feature' be turned off?

Interesting question.

It didn't happen on mine (Win98se). I aimed the FIND dialog at C:\Windows and used trans[1].gif as the file to search for (I first made sure it was actually in there). The FIND returned all three copies that exist.

Maybe the folder attributes need to be changed. None of mine are H (Hidden).

File attributes for C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files is SD

File attributes for C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 is SD

File attributes for C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\GRCX8XM1 is SD

File attributes for C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\WXEZ81MR is SD

File attributes for C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\YNW0T9DW is SD

NOTE:

S==System

D==Directory

Also note that I have the Start > Settings > Folder Options > View > Hidden Files set to Show all files.