Test nLite on a Virtual Machine? Tell a VM newbie what to do?

benbenno

Hey ive read around and see that alot of test nLite through a virtual machine.

I understand that a VM is an abstract OS layer, that is only perceptual.

But where do i start what do i use (Sandboxie maybe)?

Do i put it on a seperate partition

Just a tip or 2 would be great cheers.

Again, I'll point you to Kurt_Aust's guide. This time, just a quote should suffice. And, yes, most of this information applies to x86 as well as x64, just as before. ;)

Testing:

I use VirtualBox 3.0.x for testing purposes, highly configurable regarding choice of emulated hardware and also good for virtualizing Linux (use VirtualPC2007 for Win9x), however hardware virtualization support is required for 64-bit guests (AMD-V or VT-x).

VirtualBox 3.0.x hints:

1. Silent installation of Virtual Machine extensions is supported, once VirtualBox is installed there will be a file "VBoxGuestAdditions.iso" at "\Program Files\Sun\xVM VirtualBox", copy it to \AddOns in your nLite working directory (requires 7-Zip).
  2. On the machine setting page leave ACPI, IO APIC and VT-x/AMD-V enabled (default settings).
  3. (v3.0.10 & earlier) Detection of network cable connection can be iffy, if so try disconnecting/reconnecting.
  4. (v3.0.8 & earlier) Only use 1 virtual processor, 2 or more CPUs will lead to random system hangs or BSODs.

Another option is VMware Server 1.0.x, it's also free but has some limitations (no default sound for one), requires registration and is significantly larger (147MB vs 69MB) but importantly can virtualize 64-bit guests on some CPUs that don't have hardware virtualization capabilities (early Turions for instance). Before downloading and installing, use this tool to ensure that your processor will support 64-bit guests.

VMware Server 1.0.x hints:

1. Silent installation of Virtual Machine extensions is supported, once VMware server is installed there will be a file "windows.iso" at "\Program Files (x86)\VMware\server", copy it to \AddOns in your nLite working directory (requires 7-Zip).
  2. To enable sound you will have to integrate the VMaudio driver (3rd party signed version) with nLite at step 6 of the process AND once you have completed the New Virtual Machine wizard, choose VM >> Settings >> Hardware >> Add >> Sound Adapter.
  3. When booting up the Virtual Machine click your mouse inside the VM and hit F2, this will allow you to access the VM BIOS, you can then alter the boot sequence so that it always boots off the CD first.

Finally there is VMware Server 2.0.x, but I haven't tried this one and the huge 507MB download might scare some people off.

As a matter of preference, I use VMware Server 1.0.x. VMwS v2.0.x is too bloated for me. I haven't tried VirtualBox yet.

Edited by 5eraph

benbenno, there are three free virtual systems (VirtualBox, VirtualPC and VMware Server) that most use. I use VMware Server because it was the only one to support XP x64 at the time I needed a VM. Today VirtualBox supports x64 also. VMware Server is by far the largest (maybe greater than 500 MB while the others are in the 30-40 MB range). You DL the system and install it on your host. You then open a manager/configurator in the virtual system and create a Virtual Machine, defining disk space, memory size, etc. The Windows you want to test is then installed on the VM just as you would on a real machine. You should be able to install from an ISO file and not have to burn a CD/DVD. Please visit the sites associated with the systems and do some reading - perhaps DL the user guides. Hope this helps. Enjoy, John.

Hi John great help.

Yeah im downloading VirtualBox right now.

I tried sandboxie, bit basic at a brief look.

That would be so great if u can just load up an iso file.

Good answer mate, it will be interseting to look to the future and see what mischief i'll be doing once i conquered virtual machines.