how can I identify my windows 7 version

adj

hello, I have just upgraded to Ultimate, and am looking at M/soft's various optional add-ons, but (while I can just about work out that I probably have the 86 version since I don't have the 64-bit version - is that a kind way to treat ungeeks ?) I don't know whether I have the N version, the un-N version or what (I get the impression the KN version is for businesses - yes ?). All my pc seems able to tell me is that I have version 6.1, number 7600. (When i try to find Windows7 on the computer, nothing useful transpires, mostly bits of images, making one wonder if it's really there)

I am also unclear whether I need Windows Media Player, if I have it, or what, since one attempt at downloading said I couldn't install it for Firefox - but offered me manual install, which aborted....

Sorry to be such a klutz, adj

Thanks but all it says is Windows Ultimate (well actually it says it in French, Windows Edition Intégrale, 'cos I haven't got round to changing the lannguage yet) but it doesn't say N or M or whatever ( and I knew it was 32 bit 'cos that's what I decidedto buy)

Here is a batch script that gives detailed information.

Version.cmd

systeminfo
pause

If it doesn't say Ultimate N or whatever then it's not the N version. Very simple. It'll be the second and third entries in the list.

Try to run this link and tell us if WMP opens up. It should work even if GUI access has been limited. You'll probably have to adjust it to the "program files" in your language.

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe

Edited by MrJinje

Windows 7 N, K, KN, and E editions explained

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/07/23/w...mation-and-faq/

Windows 7 N: Windows 7 N is meant for European market, and includes the same functionality as Windows 7, except that it does not include Windows Media Player and related technologies such as Windows Movie Maker.

Windows 7 K: Windows 7 K is meant for Korean market, and includes the same functionality as ordinary Windows 7, except that it includes links to a Media Player Center Web site and a Messenger Center Web site.

Windows 7 KN: Windows 7 KN is meant for Korean market, and includes the same functionality as Windows 7 K, except that it does not include Windows Media Player and related technologies such as Windows Movie Maker, links to download Windows Live Messenger, or links to a Media Player Center Web Site and a Messenger Center Web site.

Windows 7 E: Windows 7 E is meant for European Commission countries, including UK, and includes the same functionality as ordinary standard flavor of Windows 7, except that it does not include Internet Explorer 8 (IE8).

Edited by SyntaxError

Might be a stupid question, but going by the descriptions I posted, wouldn't it be simple to figure out which version one has?

Yes the information you provided should be enough to help the OP.

MagicAndre and cluberti are looking at the problem from a developers perspective and trying to find the best way to detect if one of their programs is run on N/KN versions where the programs functionality might be limited due to missing components.

MagicAndre and cluberti are looking at the problem from a developers perspective and trying to find the best way to detect if one of their programs is run on N/KN versions where the programs functionality might be limited due to missing components.

yes, that's what I want.

Given my blazing fast download speeds today < sarcasm / >, it may take awhile. However, so far I've only found reference to determining between non-N and N versions (as MagicAndre was questioning), with no information in any of my testing of GetVersionInfo, IsOS, or even Win32_OperatingSystem that would indicate there's even a check or return for a K or KN version. Given that these versions were released after the XP codebase was put down, I can understand it in XP, but not Vista or Win7. However, it looks like (according to KB 922461) that checking HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\WindowsFeatures for the value data of 0 in the "Windows Media Player" DWORD is the suggested way of determining a K or KN SKU (it either doesn't exist or is set to 1 on other SKUs).

Technically the K and KN versions should only be available in Korea and in Korean-language versions of the OS, but I would admit it would be nicer to have some way of checking, considering they've added checking for N SKUs).

You can return N Edition of Windows 7 using Win32_OperatingSystem

Save As GetEdition.vbs

Dim Wmi :Set Wmi = GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\CIMV2") 
Dim Sku, Wn7
For Each Obj in Wmi.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_OperatingSystem")
'-> Check To Make Sure The Build Is Above Windows 7
If Obj.BuildNumber => 7600 Then
Wn7 = True
Select Case Obj.OperatingSystemSKU
Case 0 Sku = "Undefined Edition"
Case 1 Sku = "Ultimate Edition"
Case 2 Sku = "Home Basic Edition"
Case 3 Sku = "Home Premium Edition"
Case 4 Sku = "Enterprise Edition"
Case 5 Sku = "Home Basic N Edition"
Case 6 Sku = "Business Edition"
Case 7 Sku = "Standard Server Edition"