Why is this sound coming from my browser?

Frequently I have been getting a scratching sound no matter what web page I am at. I can be solely on this site without any other tabs opened up and I get the following sound every couple or so minutes apart:

http://rjschat.dyndns.org:8080/Aud/sound-from-browser.mp3

I use Firefox, rarely use Internet Exploder.

I had this very same sound happen when I had my older drive running. I am apparently clean of spyware and malware. Viruses or Trojans are exceedingly rare for me to get and I have scanned for those, nothing.

The spacings between each time these sounds occur are variable. Best I can describe it is if someone is scratching themselves, lol.

Could a plugin be responsible? Here is a listing of the plugins in my Firefox:

scratch-sound.png

I didn't hear any sounds when running in safe mode but I have a newer problem now. When getting back from safe to regular mode mymedia plugins are all gone. Windows media, quicktime, shockwave and the adobe player for playing Youtube videos are cleaned out.

I tried reinstalling Adobe flash player but Firefox didn't take to the install. According to about:plugins, nothing is there. My extensions however all seem to be working.

I read about using the reset option in the safe mode dialog but I'm not sure if this would fix the problem with media plugins? I'm taking it this is only for reseting the extensions in Firefox?

Edit - Update: I went to Adobe's test site and was able to fix the problem. It looks like I was stuck in safe mode.

Edited by rjisinspired

If it goes away in safe mode I would guess that one of your extensions has a .wav file that plays. Try going through the options and see if there is a setting for no sound. You can also try disabling them one by one or searching your extensions folder for a sound file(it may be encapsulated in a .jar file that can be opened with most archive programs).

I know it's not NoScript as I use that and have never heard a sound.