Upgrade WS2008 DC to WS2008 R2

Bad boy Warrior

R2 is a separate product SKU altogether. AFAIK you cannot upgrade a 2008 RTM to R2. Its like how 2003 Standard, Enterprise and Datacenter are different SKUs. You can't do an in-place upgrade.

If you need to go to R2, you are going to have to build a separate server, install R2 on it, and them migrate all the roles over.

I ran into this question when we got our R2 media in.

Actually you *can* upgrade from 2008 x64 to 2008 R2 (even a domain controller), but speaking from experience it would not be recommended (just as I wouldn't recommend 2000 > 2003 DC upgrades, or 2003 > 2008 DC upgrades). Unless you're constrained for hardware, it makes more sense to install a new domain controller rather than upgrade one, and slowly migrate roles and services to the new one before demoting the old one and then taking it offline.

Thanks....Were constrained for hardware (its a test server) but i dont mind putting the CD in and upgrading (sounds like thats all i have to do)....Doing this what would happen to the certificates on the DC that are being used (mainly for NAP) and shares etc? Would they remain as is after the upgrade?

Edit: On a side note if i created a VPC, set up WS 2008 R2 on it, migrate the roles etc and then format the original server, reinstall WS 2008 R2 onto the original server - migrating the roles back again (on the original server), i believe i could do this (although a long way round)? - How could i go about transferring roles etc etc?

Edited by Bad boy Warrior

OK sorry about the bad information. This is what I was told, but perhaps it was more along the lines of the reasons Cluberti mentioned.

Thanks, no need to apologise. We all learn one way or another :thumbup

I dont suppose you know any videos demonstrating all this?

Edited by Bad boy Warrior

OK sorry about the bad information. This is what I was told, but perhaps it was more along the lines of the reasons Cluberti mentioned.

Thanks, no need to apologise. We all learn one way or another :thumbup

Actually, I was thinking about how this "upgrade" is different than the method I was originally searching for, which was an update you could run from the OS. I didn't consider re-installing the OS on top of itself as an upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

I upgraded my home computer from server 2008 sp2 x64 to server 2008 r2 x64. No problems at all. Works great. (the reason i run a domain at home is for my VM's and software i install that requires a domain such as system center configuration mgr).

The only limitation i believe is you cant uninstall the upgrade, it's a one way street.