Windows 98 Live Cd Project (Update)

BeatZero

Great project! Keep up the good work. :thumbup

Why using EXTRAC32.EXE instead of EXTRACT.EXE?

Both EXTRAC32.EXE and EXTRACT.EXE are normally in %Windir%\System32 on XP systems, i.e. in path.

FYI:

Careful there...

On Win9x [95/98/ME] OSes + as part of MS IE 6.0 SP1 CAB SDK [iexpress package] extract.exe does not preserve LFNs. Only Extrac32.exe does.

On WinNTx [XP/2003/Vista/2008/7] OSes extract.exe does preserve LFNs.

For the sake of saving disk space [Miniwin style], the Win9x version of extrac32.exe has probably a smaller file size.

Or if 1 boots to native DOS or from an OS-independent bootable CD, extract.exe from Win9x/Iexpress can be used [it's even smaller], but 1 needs to make sure no LFN files will be needed for the Win9x mini-install.

IMO...

And if the author of this project cares and has lots of time on his hands ;), the mini-9x bootable CD ISO can be created from native DOS or from within Win9x, or even from an OS-independent bootable CD.

Some of the UBCD web site scripts [free open source, GPL] can probably be modified to work for this purpose, those guys already achieved this: boot to native DOS [low level, real mode (no virtualization)] from a burned CD full of tools for salvaging, restoring, partitioning, formatting, etc.. 1's OS, drives, files, etc. All 1 needs is a PC with a CD burner. I'm not sure if they've also created a bootable USB. [?]

But of course, that's a time consuming task. :(

HTH

thanks for this awsome project! can you help me, when i run winbuilder i get this error:

FileRename - Failed to rename file: [%BaseDir%\Target\WIN98LIVECD\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KOMMCTRL.DLL] to:[%BaseDir%\Target\WIN98LIVECD\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMMCTRL.DLL] :The system cannot find the file specified

thanks for this awsome project! can you help me, when i run winbuilder i get this error:

FileRename - Failed to rename file: [%BaseDir%\Target\WIN98LIVECD\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KOMMCTRL.DLL] to:[%BaseDir%\Target\WIN98LIVECD\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMMCTRL.DLL] :The system cannot find the file specified

What is your version of win98? first edition or second edition?

What is the language of this version?

(this project only works with WIN98 SE)

Take a look in the archives: LAYOUT.INF, Layout1.inf & Layout2.inf, with NOTEPAD, search for "Kommctrl.dll", the result should look like this:

Issetup.dll = 1,, 13,111

kommctrl.dll = 1,, 155,363

LZEXPAND.DLL = 1,, 23,696

= 1 represents. Where is the CAB file (precopy1.cab)

go above and see:

[sourceDisksNames]

; Cabinet file names and associated disks

; <cab#> = <disk#>, <cabinet Filename>, ID (Unused, must be 0)

1 = "CD-ROM Windows 98 Second Edition," "precopy1.cab", 0

2 = "CD-ROM Windows 98 Second Edition," "precopy2.cab", 0

hi, im using Windows 98 build 4.10.2222, ENGLISH, i have the windows 98 install files in a folder on the c: drive ( c:\win98 ) does this make a difference?

i extracted precopy.cab1 and LAYOUT.INF says =

issetup.dll=1,,12864

kommctrl.dll=1,,155136

lzexpand.dll=1,,23696

Edited by betaluva

um, i got a problem , i tried the iso in qemu, the files decompress and then i get a black screen and thats it? i did tick the "include explorer" box, does that make a difference? thanks.

Edited by betaluva

With qemu I had some problems too, try VMWare or Virtual PC

I have not found a stable version and 100% compatible qemu for this project

VMWare and Virtual PC work fine

Edited by BeatZero

You need to choose the language

the scripts:

BASIC \ Windows 98 Live CD Base

Programs \ Grafics

Programs \ Internet

Programs \ Shell

Programs \ Tolls