Windows 98 Live Cd Project (Update)

BeatZero

Guest EstevanTH

I did not describe the method to make the CD because I make changes often, and I cannot actualize the method or the builder each time... I always do my tests directly on the ISO, or on a temporary ISO, then I build the definitive ISO once changes are finished. It is faster and no mistake can appear with an incomplete or incorrect version of any software included. Remember, there is 6 different versions of Windows 95, and Windows 95 OSR2.0 is not OSR2.1, bla bla....

But my Live-CD is designed to be compatible with about every PC, with a maximum of softwares available.

It is a choice, but there is a strict minimum of softwares pre-installed. But my choice is not very "legal"... But Windows 95 is tolerated because it is obsolete. :whistle:

A special version designed to not make a copy of Windows on a RAMdrive is coming soon, with every softwares pre-installed.

Edited by EstevanTH

but if I understand it correctly you are (through your Forum) re-distributing a pre-made .iso, which is a no-no :ph34r:.
my choice is not very "legal"... But Windows 95 is tolerated because it is obsolete. :whistle:

Those are famous last words! :yes: And you're banned on Rule #1.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello

i hope this project is still alive?

I encounter two problems

1. missing BATTC.SYS file

2. error loading Explorer.exe, You must reinstall Windows

thanks

first problem solved first the battc.sys file and after that the cmbatt.sys file was missing

post-393646-0-57624100-1401390158_thumb.

Edited by jansterenborg

• 2 years later...

Really nice, tested in vmware :)

It's possible to embed some files in the PE?

Some softwares, the network .reg patch for LM compatibility (can use network places between 98 and 7), maybe the mouse applet (tend to be too fast) and the one for users (windows use it for networking purposes), maybe even some drivers but I think these can break things.

However, great work :D

Edited by Hadden

15 hours ago, Hadden said:

Really nice, tested in vmware :)

It's possible to embed some files in the PE?

Some softwares, the network .reg patch for LM compatibility (can use network places between 98 and 7), maybe the mouse applet (tend to be too fast) and the one for users (windows use it for networking purposes), maybe even some drivers but I think these can break things.

However, great work :D

WHICH PE? :dubbio:

jaclaz

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I downloaded the build scripts and modified a couple of things.  I am using WinBuilder 082.  I changed how how it makes and sets "Drive X" as the hard drive and "Drive Y" as the CD-ROM.  Actually I am not even using the CD-ROM all that much.  The scripts  produce an ISO, but I changed it so that on boot time it copies everything to the Hard Drive and then runs off the Hard drive (RAM Disk).  I did this so that I can also produce a hard drive image that I gzip and use to remote boot over PXE using Pxelinux from syslinux.  The Pxelinux essentially creates the RAM drive using the MEMDISK module before Windows 98 boots.  I also made changes to the script so that files are copied from source folders instead of being extracted from the scripts during the build process.  I like being able build this project from the source media.  With that in mind I do not really like using the pre patched and included binaries from Windows 95 inside the original source scripts.  I have had to modify some of the source files such as lnk, pifs, noreboot.exe and the registry files.  One thing I notice is that the included registry (user.dat & system.dat) has a lot of entries in Portuguese.   This has the consequence that the device manager appears in Portuguese.  I don't know how the original one was produced, but I would like some suggestions as I am trying to produce an English one.  I am also curious as to how the file runonce.exe was modified.  I actually hunted down a Portuguese version of Windows 95 2.1 to get the original file.  I noticed it was the same internal file version but the source file is a lot smaller.  I have booted Windows 98 SE inside VMware Workstation 12.5 using the Intel MT 1000 NIC and the AMD PC Net NIC.  Also in Virtual Box 5.2.18 with the same NICs.  I suspect using a USB Pen drive with Syslinux and MEMDISK will also load the OS.

Regards,

AceStrider1

495905128_Win98LiveScreenshot.thumb.JPG.b3b3523099673e102e77a7aaf7dc9326.JPG

Edited by AceStrider1

• 7 months later...