Non RAID to RAID HDD image transfer

Gamer6432

I use Windows XP Pro x64, and on my current OS install (first time using the 64-bit OS) I could not get my nVidia RAID drivers to work, and so I am working with two separately recognized hard drives. Recently I got the idea to image my setup to my external drive (more than enough space), format the current drives into a RAID 0, and drop the image of my old setup onto that.

First question: will this work? I have downloaded the trial of Acronis True Image 10 and plan to use that. Is this a good choice? If not, what should I use? If need be, I can only image the C: drive (bootable drive) and just reinstall everything on drive #2 (just some games that are easily shifted around).

Second question (OK, technically 4th): what do I need to add besides drivers so that my setup will work on the new RAID array?

Thanks in advance.

First read this.

I think your best option is to make your drivers work on setup if possible.

Otherwise a workstation edition of acronis backup & recovery 10 is more suitable to your needs, true image 10 need a plus packet to handle RAID 0 and still has limitations. Search each product user guides for dynamic volumes to get an idea.

Read this and this. XP cannot get installed to a dynamic volume unless it is a simple volume "retained", so it's not enough to build a RAID 0 from both the whole drives, in case they are identical, you'd need a third drive with a basic volume; if not identical, the bigger one can be used to install XP on a basic volume build in the spare space left by the stripped volume in this drive, as size of the stripped volume is limited to the smallest drive size.

You should explore the possibility of a software RAID 0. It would be easier, it may give you some advantages and you don't have to worry about your problems with RAID driver during windows setup. Read this to get an idea.

Edited by strel