Multi-image WIM question

TheReasonIFail

• 2 months later...

Well, the short answer is no. Unless you are planning on creating a Blu-Ray install disc. The combined .wim files for Vista (x86/x64), Windows 7 (x86/x64), Server 2008 (x86/x64) and Server 2008 R2 results in a 10gig file. you could probably get away with doing Windows Vista and 7 on one dual layer, and Server 2008 and 2008 R2 on another. I am attaching the bat files I used to create this Frankenstein install .wim. Just change the directory structure to suite your needs.

_Compile_WinSuperDVD.txt

_oscdimg_WinSuperDVD.txt

Yes, it is possible, using an NTFS formatted USB (or PXE/network based installs) should work fine with large WIMs.

EDIT: C/R but I think there is a file or two you need from the R2 DVD\Sources folder to maintain compatibility while installing. Report back if you run into that error.

Edited by MrJinje

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I must admit that I haven't had much time to try it out myself. But I plan on using a 16 GB USB stick so size won't be an issue. I'll give it a go this weekend and post the results on Monday.

Holy crap, thanks for the script Kevin!! I appreciate it!!

No prob there mate... Now time to try and catch up on some sleep.

Yes, it is possible, using an NTFS formatted USB (or PXE/network based installs) should work fine with large WIMs.

EDIT: C/R but I think there is a file or two you need from the R2 DVD\Sources folder to maintain compatibility while installing. Report back if you run into that error.

I'm not sure that's relevant with a Win7 source as the installation media. I've found that using a Win7 x86 source seems to work fine in all scenarios thus far - export all versions (Vista, 2008, Win7, 2008 R2) to a new .WIM, then place that as install.wim in place of the existing install.wim in the \sources folder, and everything installs fine from the Win7 sources. I'm using x86 because you cannot install an x86 image from an x64 source, but an x86 source can "see" and install x86 and x64 images.

I've had a hard go at it. My plan was XP Home/PRO RETAIL/OEM MCE VISTA x86/X64 W7 x86 X64 Server 2008 on one DL DVD. This was of course quite too large. I took off MCE, 2008, and all non US versions that I'm not likely to encounter(i.e Vista Starter, W7 Home Basic, N versions, etc). Probably room for something else(except 2008) if I dropped the XP stuff(~1.3GB)

For XP I used XP powerpacker and made ISO copied contents to the root of the All in ONE ISO. Edited the BCD to point to the LOADER.BIN of the XP disc loader.

Exported the WIM's from the thier source disc, to an install.wim. Used imagex /split wim to 2GB swm files since I couldnt use UDF file system as XP setup just loads way to slow. Then for ocsdimg made a bootorder.txt and used -yo switch, and -m and -o. File size came in just under a DL DVD.

The issue I have ran into for what I was trying to do were:

If i used W7 disc as source, the bootmgr couldnt find loader.bin. If I used Vista as source all was fine. Really more just the boot folder and bootmgr difference I guess, as i copied those from Vista onto W7. I'd rather use the W7 as source and use the boot.wim from that.

Another issue I seem to be battling is if I use W7 source with my "all in one" wim, all W7 images load and complete install, but Vista ones fail after image installs and decompress, and setup starts I get the windows can not start the installation. Conversely if I use Vista source, then the W7 install errors out at same place. I cant be sure but it seems like I had it working fine when I just exported say vista wim into already present W7, but if I exported from both to a brand new wim I got this error. I think I read that the wims are of a different structure and this is apparent when just using the /info switch. Maybe have to use the reverse proceedure for vista inside a w7 VM like for adding a service pack, capture the .vhd to .wim that way the Vista image is built with W7?

Either way i believe it is possible to do if you pick and choose your OSes you want, but definetly no way to have them all for DVD, USB and Bluray I think it would work fine. I actually came here looking to what I might be doing wrong with my setup, when I saw your question, I know some people have claimed to have done it so I'm sure it works but I'm not 100% sure on the how.

Edited by aicjofs

Figured out what this was, it turned out to be the "License" folder containing the R2 EULA.

See here.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently made a DVD with Windows 7 32bit/64bit and Server 2008R2. Then, I saw a guide that showed you how to make a *.wim version of XP. My question is: Can this *.wim version be added to the existing install.wim on the all in one DVD that I made? If not, then could someone help me with adding the regular version of XP to this DVD. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I recently made a DVD with Windows 7 32bit/64bit and Server 2008R2. Then, I saw a guide that showed you how to make a *.wim version of XP. My question is: Can this *.wim version be added to the existing install.wim on the all in one DVD that I made? If not, then could someone help me with adding the regular version of XP to this DVD. Thanks.

So you just used the imagex /export command to make one big install.wim and then made a new .iso ? and thats it ?

No folders from server 2008 R2 dvd ? :P

Well, the short answer is no. Unless you are planning on creating a Blu-Ray install disc. The combined .wim files for Vista (x86/x64), Windows 7 (x86/x64), Server 2008 (x86/x64) and Server 2008 R2 results in a 10gig file. you could probably get away with doing Windows Vista and 7 on one dual layer, and Server 2008 and 2008 R2 on another. I am attaching the bat files I used to create this Frankenstein install .wim. Just change the directory structure to suite your needs.

I cant get windows 7 and vista to work together when using imagex command like you.. atleast i dont think so.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...