Anonymous web-surfing solution for Win-98?

Guest wsxedcrfv

Guest wsxedcrfv

Is there any anonymous web-surfing solution or method available for Win-98?

VPN, proxy, TOR, other?

Is this topic covered in the "Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE" sticky?

Guest wsxedcrfv
Check out UltraSurf...

Based on some limited web-research, I'm forming the opinion that UltraSurf (and other similar software, like Freegate) are really designed to allow computer users in China to break through the great "firewall" of China and allow them full access to the WWW.

If so, then it's not clear how those programs would be of any real use to someone in the "west", specifically in the US or Canada.

Just a detail, SteveTX holds xerobank, an on payment online privacy services company.

If your read the last page of that thread you'll find Steve is answered by skilled users of that forum pointing to lacking of evidence in his assertions.

I also found this exposing ultrareach answer to Steve assertions and comments on it, this and this refuting Steve with more analysis.

After reading that I don't think ultrasurf is a threat.

Edited by strel

I don't know for sure if it's true or not. Either way, after accusations like those, I'd set up a monitored test rig and find out for myself before I used it. If it really does make all the connections claimed, I'd be very hesitant to use it. I don't see how those connections would help it to perform its stated purpose. I posted the link primarily to show that there might be a problem. Some of their responses don't stand up to reason. Any user to truly needs such a service would be wise to test it out for themselves first before actually using it.

If I was going to use a service to help remain anonymous, I'd choose TOR. The last time I tried it, TOR itself works with 98, but the app it's bundled with, Vidalia, does not. Drains out the system resources in less than a minute. TOR can be used without it, but you have to configure it manually.

I've never had any problem running UltraSurf...

I'll still run it when I feel like it... as the alarmist rhetoric in some of the links is exactly that... alarmist...

That said... after reading all links provided in this thread, I have to withdraw my recommendation of UltraSurf...