Word 2000 in Windows 7

LarryAllen

Am running into a problem with Office 2000 install into Windows 7 Pro 32 bit; both Word and Excel load and come up for roughly 45 seconds and then I get the message “ Microsoft Word (Excel) for Windows has stopped working” with the option to check online for a solution which yields nothing and program closes. I have downloaded and installed SR1A (O2KSR1aDL) and SP3 (O2kSp3) with no joy; then did a “repair” and still no luck – same message. Problem detail below the message indicates “Fault Module Name: OPLP_UI.DLL”. Any suggestions? I have Enterprise 2007 but refuse to use it.

As to hardware, I stuck with my old PC as I saw no reason to upgrade and “Windows 7 Performance” bears me out. Have an FX55 OC’d to 2.8 on a DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI Expert w/3GB PC 4200 and a 4850 Radeon graphics card.

Thanks.

Don't bother with XP Mode. In my experiences, it's horribly inconvenient and slow, even for old Office apps.

A quick Google search tells me that this file is not part of Office 2000, but a part of a printer driver. Do you have a printer attached? You might want to update its drivers, or check if that is functioning properly.

I could be wrong though, this is just what a quick Google search told me. However, I know for sure that Office 2000 works great in Vista, so it should do so in 7 as well.

That driver is actually not a part of Office 2000, but an OKI printer driver. I would guess you've installed an OKI printer on that machine at some point, and it's causing Office 2000 applications to crash when doing something after being loaded. Since Office 2000 officially had support ended in July of this year, before Windows 7 was released, it is not supported on that platform (you can see this in searching the Windows 7 compatibility database, here - it's also worth noting that no Office XP applications are listed as compatible, even though the only one that really fails is Outlook).

Thanks to all of you! Should have Googled the problem myself but never thought that the Oki was the issue. I had tried to add the Oki as a wireless printer as this is the way it is connected in XP; wasn't having any luck configuring the port so just forgot about it. Removed the printer this morning and everything in Office 2000 is fully functional. Then got off my dead end and worked on solving the Oki network/wireless port issue - also solved. Now everything including the printer is fully Windows 7 compatible. Thank you all again - Larry.