The File-Checker (HFSLIPFC) for HFSLIP

Mim0

Now I'm thinking about my update-list. Probably it's a little bit confusing to have so much hotfixes inside. Do I make two lists? (one with hotfixes, another w/o hotfixes). Hmm...

I like the idea of everything in one list, and having the list and the File-checker in sync, ie covering the same things. Maybe a separate Table for "optional" Hotfixes that don't belong in your other tables? Just my two cents.

Cheers and Regards

Maybe a separate Table for "optional" Hotfixes that don't belong in your other tables?
Hmm... No bad idea! Then I have still one list but don't blow up the already existing tables. I keep in in my mind. THX!!!

2010-03-10
- Added: Replacement-info for KB970238 (optional KB974841 can replace
KB970238/MS09-026)

Mimo

I integrate all except for WU/MU and these files (part of my ini):

-------------------------------------------------

! Expected updates to be ignored

! To make it more consistent the format is

! identical to the other sections, but only

! the file (column 2) is used. In column 3 you

! should add your own remarks (but do not use

! pipe-characters and backspaces).

! For col. 2 You can also use regular-expressions

! (see help for FINDSTR). When using regular-

! expressions consider that the backslash is the

! escape-character. It has to be replaced by a

! dot. When possible use just the KB-number

! (including 'KB').

-------------------------------------------------

+IGNORE

O|HF\windows-kb890830-v3.4.exe|Malicious Software Removal Tool v3.4

O|HF\KB961742-v3.exe|Enable RemoteApp to XP SP3 VMs on a Windows 7 host

O|HFSVCPACK\WindowsXP-KB967715-x86.reg|Disable Autorun for all drive-types

O|HFGUIRUNONCE\UPHClean-Setup.msi|User Profile Hive Cleanup Service 1.6d

O|HFGUIRUNONCE\messenger.msi|Windows Messenger 5.1| | \ | |Ensure that Windows Messenger 5.1 is the current version 5.1.0.715

O|HF\WindowsRightsManagementServicesSP2-KB979099-Client-x86-!ln979099!.exe|Rights Management Services Client with SP2

H|HFSVCPACK_SW1\windowsxp-kb976002-v5-x86-enu.exe|Browser-choice for EU-countries

-

Mimo, regarding...

2009-10 Enable RemoteApp to XP SP3 VMs on a Windows 7 host Optional KB961742 KB961742-v3.exe HF

Hummm... Seeing the above in your +Ignore list caused me to go back and read the related article again. Given my limited understanding of VM, I do not fully understand the article. However, after reading it more closely I now realize that I should not have included it in my build (as I was doing until reading your post), instead I should have added it in my +Ignore list (something I did only after reading your post).

Perhaps a hint could be added to help others avoid making the mistake I made.

SUGGESTION, add a hint such as the one below (or other words of your choosing):

Include only if you are installing Win XP SP3 on a Virtual Machine running on a computer running Windows Vista. Read article for details.

PROBLEM. Unfortunately, I used a HFSLIP build where I had included it when I did a fresh install of Windows XP Pro on my sister's computer after her power supply went bad. While her machine seems to work OK so far, I would like to undo the file changes made by this update ASAP. The article includes a list of files included in the update. Can I simply replace these files with ones from a computer installed without this update? Or, do I need to unregister the old and re-register the new dlls? Did the update delete any files that I need to add back? Is there anything else I need to consider in reversing this update?

Thanks for any advice on this,

Lilla

Edited by Lilla

Hi Lilla,

regarding uninstalling KB961742-v3 manually I cannot say anything. Sorry.

Making a hint for this update is no prob.

But can you tell me whats the problem when using this update? Are there any disadvantages when running XP on your sister's computer?

Mimo

Hi Lilla,

regarding uninstalling KB961742-v3 manually I cannot say anything. Sorry.

Making a hint for this update is no prob.

But can you tell me whats the problem when using this update? Are there any disadvantages when running XP on your sister's computer?

Mimo

Mimo, thanks for reply. So far I'm not aware of any problems with her computer. But I'm concerned because as they say "I don't know what I don't know". She is a average sort of user and most likely would not recognize subtle problems.

Opinions on this would be most welcome: Is it OK to run a regular computer (not a VM) with this update slipstreamed?

Edited by Lilla

Hi @Mim0 ,

Where i can download your file-checker (HFSLIPFC) for HFSLIP application? I don't find any download link for this application? :unsure:

Ok, i find it :thumbup

Edited by oguz2

2010-03-25
- Added: Tommy's solution as first choice for fixing problem described
in KB972582. But if you prefer extraction shdocvw.dll manually
it will make tommy's soluton obsolete.
- Added: KB980302 (IE8 Compatibility View List)
- Removed: KB978506 (IE8 Compatibility View List)

Edited by Mim0

Just curious, will the file-checker correctly recognize the files for either option, and not give an "unknown file" error? Just as I assume HFSLIP will process either option correctly.

Cheers and Regards

Never mind - I just check your list and it very plainly states what happens for the 2 options. Thanks, Mim0.

Cheers

Edited by bphlpt

Just curious, will the file-checker correctly recognize the files for either option, and not give an "unknown file" error? Just as I assume HFSLIP will process either option correctly.

At the moment it will not giving an "unknown" error because the REPLACE-folder will not be checked for wrong/obsolete/... files (by default - as far as you changed it in the ini).

If both files (HF\WindowsXP-KB978207-x86-ENU.exe and REPLACE\I386\shdocvw.dl_) are missing the file-checker will report the WindowsXP-KB978207-x86-ENU.exe as missing not the shdocvw.dl_.

I found a bug.

In the INI in section IE8.

O|HF\WindowsXP-KB978207-x86-!Lang!.Exe| Empty dialog when opening 'Organize Favorites' from Windows Explorer | - | REPLACE/I386 \ shdocvw.dl_ | shdocvw.dl_ replaced by manually extracted

And should be:

O|HF\IE8-WindowsXP-KB978207-x86-!Lang!.Exe| Empty dialog when opening 'Organize Favorites' from Windows Explorer | - | REPLACE/I386 \ shdocvw.dl_ | shdocvw.dl_ replaced by manually extracted

Greetings

I found a bug.

It looks strange but it's no bug!!! :)

WindowsXP-KB978207-x86-!lang!.exe is the IE6-version of KB978207 and contains the fixed shdocvw.dll which is not included in the IE8-Version of KB978207 (IE8-WindowsXP-KB978207-x86-!lang!.exe). So, if using IE8 then IE8-WindowsXP-KB978207-x86-!lang!.exe is a security update for IE8 and WindowsXP-KB978207-x86-!lang!.exe is optional to fix a bug when trying open "organize favorites" from the Windows Explorer.

I found a bug.

It looks strange but it's no bug!!! :)

WindowsXP-KB978207-x86-!lang!.exe is the IE6-version of KB978207 and contains the fixed shdocvw.dll which is not included in the IE8-Version of KB978207 (IE8-WindowsXP-KB978207-x86-!lang!.exe). So, if using IE8 then IE8-WindowsXP-KB978207-x86-!lang!.exe is a security update for IE8 and WindowsXP-KB978207-x86-!lang!.exe is optional to fix a bug when trying open "organize favorites" from the Windows Explorer.

I use IE6. I get this error:

Found wrong, obsolete or unknown update(s)

------------------------------------------

wrong (O): HF\WindowsXP-KB978207-x86-ESN.exe (Empty dialog when opening 'Organize Favorites' from Windows Explorer, it's for IE8)

-- moved to HFSLIPFC.MOV

Edited by Trustee