The File-Checker (HFSLIPFC) for HFSLIP

Mim0

There is a typo in the list at KB977377 there is a ! instead of a | so it's reported missing when it's there.

Change:

A|HF\WindowsXP-KB977377-x86-!lang!.exe!Security Advisory 977377: TLS/SSL

to

A|HF\WindowsXP-KB977377-x86-!lang!.exe|Security Advisory 977377: TLS/SSL

Edited by Glowy

2010-02-10

- Fixed: There was a typo at KB977377 (! instead of |)

- Added: Some obsolete updates

- Added: INI-setting HOTFIXES to disable/enable list missing hotfixes

- Added: KB961451, Hotfix: MDAC (identity-attribute in combination with ADO)

- Added: KB974905, Hotfix: MBR file or a live stream with more than 32 streams

Regarding new INI-settings, the easiest way is to let hfslipfc create a new ini and see whats new. :)

Regards, Mimo

Mimo, I renew my objection to 977377, have you even read the KB article?

It is intended for some very specific issues, not verified yet by microsoft and what is worse is that it will probably break more things than it fixes.

You should really remove it, don't include it, not even as optional.

bye!

I strongly disagree with removing KB977377!

An update-list is not a list of EVERYTHING which needs to be downloaded and integrated, but ONLY serves as a possibillity to the end-user of what's available to choose among.

All security updates and advisories obviously belong to a Post-SP3 update list...

In mimo's filechecker there's both ini-settings for disabling advisory-notifications and an exclude-list...

Just my 2 cents...

Disabling advisories may also lead to removing actually useful hotfixes.

I insist, if you read the KB article, you'll see what I'm talking about.

This hotfix breaks more stuff than what it fixes.PLEASE READ THE KB ARTICLE.

Also, a user might integrate that HF without actually knowing it may have nasty effects.

An update-list is not a list of EVERYTHING which needs to be downloaded and integrated, but ONLY serves as a possibillity to the end-user of what's available to choose among.
THX, that is what I have in mind with the list and the file-checker. :)
Disabling advisories may also lead to removing actually useful hotfixes.

I insist, if you read the KB article, you'll see what I'm talking about.

This hotfix breaks more stuff than what it fixes.PLEASE READ THE KB ARTICLE.

Also, a user might integrate that HF without actually knowing it may have nasty effects.

Hey, I know about KB977377. And also in other Updates are hints like "use it only if you encounter these problems". And currently with MS10-015 many users have problems with it (BSOD), MS is knowing that and looking for the bug.

But should I remove MS10-015? (I think more users have problems with MS10-015 than with KB977377)

I don't want to ignore your concerns but the main goal of the file-checker and the list (hey, it's still in the update-list. why should I remove it only from the file-checker? ;) ) is said in the top of this reply and should not changed.

But I can give hint's like:

found KB977377: Please read the KB-article carefully

I just have such a hint when using KB975254. I think such information and the end of the report was not bad.

Edited by Mim0

2010-02-12
- Fixed: The order of updates in the list. The prevoius order made
problems together with the download-script (updates are
requested which are made obsolete by a later download).
The result was you have to run the filecheker twice (the
second time was to remove the obsolete updates). Now
it's not needed to run the file-checker twice.
- Added: INI-setting DOWNLOAD-SCRIPT where you can define a script
for downloading missing updates. This script will be
called with two parameters:
%1 = name of the file
%2 = destination-folder
--- beta state ---
- Added: New information for checking the Flash-Player 10.0.45.2

Currently I made the possibility to add a DL-script (or command) when a missing update was found. I use it but not for "real downloading". I have all updates on my harddisk ("real updates" are here, installation-programs (IE, WMP, ...) are there, drivers, hfslip-files...) and my download-script scannes my hard-disk for the required update and copies it to the HFSLIP-folder. With this I made my copy-script obsolete (the copy-script which I maintained since years to get my updates to the HFSLIP-folder). Now I have just manage the file-checker :D

THX to Tomalak for the new flash-player!!! :thumbup

Mimo

---edit---

No probs with uploading anymore, upload is done! :)

Edited by Mim0

Let's not fight about this.

Maybe you could add a warning, something like "Known to cause problems. Use at your own risk. Please read the KB article carefuly"

That could prevent inexperienced users from using it...

BTW, the latest version is corrupted. the file is damaged.Please re-upload.

Edited by jvidal

Let's not fight about this.

Maybe you could add a warning, something like "Known to cause problems. Use at your own risk. Please read the KB article carefuly"

Yes, that's what I said
But I can give hint's like:
found KB977377: Please read the KB-article carefully

I just have such a hint when using KB975254. I think such information and the end of the report was not bad.

I think it's a good compromise between listing all current updates and taking care of possible problems. :)
BTW, the latest version is corrupted. the file is damaged.Please re-upload.
Oh, thx. I used InfoZip for an automatic release (cmd for zipping, making verson file, uploading, ...). Probably I took a wrong parameter for InfoZip... THX!!!

Mimo

----EDIT----

I've forgotton to switch to binary-transfer for the ZIP-file. Shame on me... :D Fixed now!

Edited by Mim0

@jvidal

Off-course i had read the KB-article before replying and also didn't use that update myself, but nevermind that, and i see you and Mim0 has come to a nice agreement :)

@Mim0

Just wanted to add that i'm sorry for not having replyed to your request about my INI file(i posted about the filechecker's auto-update function didn't worked for me even when having UPDATECHECK=1 and DOWNLOAD=1 + wget.exe in HFSLIP folder).

My computer crached and i'm about to set-up another one(luckilly i have all backed up), and i have now tried the most recent version and no problems found!

You don't need to reply to this post, and i just wanted to say thanks for all your continued efforts! (and also for being one of the few which actually understands the terminology differences between an update and a hotfix! :))

Hi Mimo. My WU is not satisfied without kb979099.
Thx for the Info. Does it replace 917275?

PS: I've testet WU also but kb979099 is not listed there.

Another thing, mimo, you still haven't addressed the 946648 vs messenger.msi (5.1) issue...

Yes. I've thought about it how to check if messenger.msi the latest one. But I think I will make just a Remark the the user has tu ensure that.

Another thing: Can you confirm that HFGUIRUNONCE is the correct folder?

Regards, Mimo

Hi Mimo. My WU is not satisfied without kb979099.
Thx for the Info. Does it replace 917275?

PS: I've testet WU also but kb979099 is not listed there.

I think so because I removed kb917275 from my list and I put kb979099, tested in VM and WU was happy.