How to get the cause of high CPU usage caused by apps?

Do you have any assumptions what could be the root cause? I'm working in domain network and nobody else seems to have similar problems. I mean those entries in Stack Counts look like firewall is constantly updating it's entries. What could be the reason? And I do not use any network heavy programs.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit on a laptop with a wireless internet connection. Im having similar 100% cpu usage problems because of svchosts. The cpu is constantly at 100% for atleast 20 mins after startup or rebooted network connection, if the computer is left alone to run the services. Once everything is running its fine and the cpu settles at 20-30%. According to the processmonitor the problem seem to have something to do with iphlpsvc, netman, lanman and possibly some other service, which are the services that run during the problems.

I've seen people with similar issues with for example Win 7 beta but havent found any fix. Any help would be VERY appreciated!

Thanks

the IP Helper service from Windows causes the high CPU usage (91.11%). Update the Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter and Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller drivers first and if this doesn't solve it, stop the service.

Edited by MagicAndre1981

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just finished getting a new system up - ASUS P8P67, Intel I-Core 5-2500K, 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 -1600, EGA GeForce 9400 GT Video card, 650W Power Supply, Windows 7 Ultimate. Using 2 logical HDD's (each as a RAID 1) attached to the Intel SATA 3.0 ports and 2 DVD-RW's attached to the Intel SATA 6.0 ports. Marvell SATA 6.0 ports used for external ports. No Overclocking used. Basic applications (e.g. Office 2007, Quicken, Adobe, etc.) installed. System will run for a variable amount of time and then the "System" process takes over 25% of the CPU usage but brings the system operation to a halt. Periodically, cycles will be made available but not for very long - seconds at most. The typical timeframe is in the 20 min. range but I have run for 2 - 3 hours a couple of times. I did run an Xperf trace once and the big user was "iaStor.sys!?" but I'm not sure how to interpret that result.

I also talked with ASUS and Intel (iaStor.sys is their module) but got nada from them - am I using the most current BIOS?(Yes!), do I have the most recent drivers? (Yes!), have I done a clean install? (Yes - multiple times). Well, then, it's not our problem (my paraphrase). So I'm hopeing someone else out there has run into this situation and can point me in a new direction.

Thanks for any help on this very frustrating situation,

John...

yes it is correct. The iaStor.sys drivers allocates some memory (kernel pool memory) and this causes the CPU usage. This driver belongs to the Intel Storage drivers. Do you have the latest drivers installed?

Have you tried to connect the HDDs to the SATA6GB Ports?

According to Intel I do have the correct drivers installed. As for the other SATA ports, since I have 2 logical drives, I need 4 ports which means I have to use at least 2 of the "regular" SATA connections since the Marvell SATA's are for data only, not RAID. Guess I can try spliting the logical drives - one on the 2 6GB ports and one on the regular ports. Though I have run the system with only one logical connected and get the same problem.

Appreciate the look see and confirmation of what the data suggests. Guess my next approach is to RMA the mobo and try a different one. Any recommendations for a non-gamer type mobo?

hey again, thanks for the help earlier. unfortunately the driver update did no difference. i did however read somewhere to look if i could see "tunnel adapters for ISATAP, 6to4, or Teredo" when running ipconfig /all, which i tried, the odd thing was that instead of a few lines with the usual ipconfig stuff i got a long list of (roughly translated):

Tunnel connection: Connection to local network* 1

State: Disconnected

Connection specific DNS-suffix: ___ (as in nothing)

Tunnel connection: Connection to local network* 2

State: Disconnected

Connection specific DNS-suffix: ___ (except for the last one where its said LAN)

and so on until 680ish. im guessing that this isnt good and could be whats draining the cpu, right? Any advice on what this means or how to reduce or remove these tunnel connections?

Thanks

yes!! finally worked! it was the 6to4 microsoft adapters that was the problem... i had 690 of them (see picture), used devmanview and was able to uninstall them all in a few mins and the cpu usage went down. i seem to have quite a large amount of copies of different other devices too but im not sure i want to mess around with that at this point since it seems to work quite well, is a total 287 devices in the device manager alot?

it would however be nice to know why this happened to i can stop it if it is still going on... any ideas?

/marko

post-323433-0-11628800-1306078687_thumb.