How to get the cause of high CPU usage caused by apps?

Hi Andre, I decided to force an "update" actually by "changing" the device and choose the option to allow me pick the device drivers manually (of course not recommended). I installed the Atheros's AR9285 drivers which the effect of removing the device "Dell Wireless 1702.811b/n/g. I now have Atheros AR9285 Wireless Adapter which has been working fine since! No Freeze ups so far and performance has been good!

Thanks a lot for your patience and diligence. I hope it will continue working fine.

:thumbup

• 1 month later...

Hello,

After reading these forums and other sites, this seems to be the place to go.

Andre, the necessary files are in the following locations, I PM'd you the password for the .7z files.

http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/69358653/file.html

The 7z files are password protected, if you would also like to take a look at them, please PM me and I will be more than happy to give you the password.

Thanks,

Austin

ok, traces 33CPU3GigMem.etl, ExplorerHighCPU1 and Explorer High CPU 2.etl show a high CPU usage and here the Explorer is using the windows Search and this causes the high CPU usage. Your HDD is also busy so I assume you search for the MP3 files on drive E:

Is this correct?

My RAID is being rebuilt during some of those captures, so the majority of HDD usage is due to that. I am not searching for anything in particular and have Windows Search disabled to prevent indexing.

I will say, at one point while I was using Procexp, I noticed mp3 files would show up in the handles section and then disappear. I am no longer noticing that and cannot pinpoint what is doing the seeking.

Austin

UPDATE 2: After a while of Explorer.exe not eating CPU and Memory after MS Search was uninstalled, everything continued to perform as normal. I re-installed search, along with setting everything back to default (Using RegKey SetupCompletedSucessfully), Explorer.exe started to act up again, this is with indexing disabled, so I am still quite confused. You have successfully narrowed it down to the search module, just not sure what is causing that to go wild with memory and CPU.

Any suggestions? Also, should I move this to another thread?

Austin

Same Password for the 7z files. I updated to the latest Intel could provide. 11.7.0.1013.

http://www22.zippyshare.com/v/94672451/file.html

It looks like it is still happening but not sure why. It is a very minor performance impact due to the capability of the system.

Let me know if you have any more input, I can open a case with Intel.

-Austin