How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Andre,

I saw your post from a couple years ago of finding the cause of high DPC latency issues and followed all your instructions. 

Before I continue, I'd like to state that this all happend after I replaced my motherboard, CPU and RAM as well as re-installed windows.

What I get is obvious very high DPC latency usages, WHEN my internet adapter is turned on from device manager. When disabling it or plugging it out from my computer, my DPC latency usage drops immediately down to the green levels.

So, I re-installed my network adapter, no good.
I made sure all the drivers were 100% updated from the website itself,
but still no good. I even changed my network adapter with a brand new
one and made sure all drivers were updated but still no good. 

This would conclude that the usb port was the issue. To confirm, I followed all your steps and arrived at a shock. Dumping the files into a .txt I noticed that a number of .sys were caused by this.

(I private messaged you the info)

So, I did the logical thing and installed all windows updates, re-checking for new ones right after. After a while of downloading, installing, not one difference was made.

It does not contain viruses since it was directly after a fresh install.
Now, this leaves 2 possible causes.

1. The new hardware (CPU, Motherboard, RAM (6GB)
- I also added a new cpu cooler with new thermal paste and brought the CPU temp down from 73 degrees to 35 degrees, which eliminates overheat.

- As well, I fully cleaned the PC of dust.

2. A bad installation of Windows 7. After my first failure with high DPC latency, after failing to fix it, I re-formatted windows once more to see if the issue would resolve, but the issue still remained

*Note* I purchased windows 7 a while ago, ultimate edition but at that time all I used was the 32-bit CD and so I accidentally lost the CD to the 64-bit version but I managed to keep the Product key. So, not wanting to pay a couple hundred dollars again, I pirated (bad, I know) a copy of windows 7 onto a CD to re-format it both times. When I used my purchased product key it worked just fine.

I would really appreciate the help because the choppy sound, extreme lag is unbearable and I am left completely out of options after trying everything.

Thank you, Tacent.

*Note* I purchased windows 7 a while ago, ultimate edition but at that time all I used was the 32-bit CD and so I accidentally lost the CD to the 64-bit version but I managed to keep the Product key. So, not wanting to pay a couple hundred dollars again,...

You can get an original .iso through DigitalRiver downloads:

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

jaclaz

*Note* I purchased windows 7 a while ago, ultimate edition but at that time all I used was the 32-bit CD and so I accidentally lost the CD to the 64-bit version but I managed to keep the Product key. So, not wanting to pay a couple hundred dollars again,...

You can get an original .iso through DigitalRiver downloads:

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

jaclaz

Wow thanks. I guess what's sold is the product key, not Windows itself. I will keep this downloaded but I'll wait for Andre's response before I proceed.

provide the xperf trace file (.etl)

Sure thing, here's the link : http://www.mediafire.com/download/2it0fizmiu41t0t/latency.etl

As well, I'd like to add that after all Windows Updates, I even used DriverEasy to update all drivers. It found lots of usb port drivers, installed them all but still no good.

As well, my USB 2.0 ports are also not working as they used to before the hardware changes.

Yes, the DPC usage comes from USB driver of Windows. And I comes from your USB Wireless Adapter (D-Link DWA-171 Wireless AC Dual Band Adapter) driver rtwlanu.sys. This is why I only use PCI(e) internal cards. I have no idea how to solve this because you already use the latest driver version (1024.4.0910.2013) I can find.

Just a little update:

I took into consideration and I remembered that I have a PCI-E internal card and plugged it in. It fixed the issue 90%. I've never been so happy seeing green. Not only that, it boosted my entire pc's speed up, as well as network speed. Before it used to deteriorate to as low as 2 mb/s but with this card its back up to 17-ish.

For all you dealing with the issue of usbport.sys and the cause being your network adapter, try a pci-express internal card. A decent one can be very cheap.

• 3 months later...
Good morning to all and thanks to exist :)

First, sorry for my bad English but I am Italian :( I hope to make myself understood.

I have a huge problem with a new computer of one of my clients who after a few minutes of power begins to slow down dramatically and distort the audio.

The computer in question is a new Desktop Asus BM1AF, a I5-4440 with 8GB of ram, nVidia GT620, and Windows 8.1 PRO.

Thinking there was some problem during the various preparations have also tried to reformat it but the problem reappears immediately.

I tried to follow the guide written by you but unfortunately I can not understand the problem, I have tried to perform these procedures:

1) disable HDMI audio improvements

2) updated bios and chipset drivers, LAN and video card

3) physically disconnected the front USB ports and card reader

4) run sfc / scannow and chkdsk

I am attaching the two LOG, the first when everything goes normally, the second since the problem is ongoing.

Can you help me? What's to blame? that we have solutions? I am desperate :(

Thank You

Claudio

the trace is corrupted. Looks like you used the Windows 8 SDK/WPT on Windows 8.1.

But from what I can see the DPC usage comes from 1394ohci.sys. Which FireWire devices do you use?

:( You're right, I see now that for Windows 8.1 there is a different tool.
Would you like re-do the logs?

It 's true, I use a FireWire device, a digital camera:

Try to disconnect the cable to see if it's his fault? or just unplug the pci card?

Thank you very much

disconnect the camera and look if this improves it. If not, disable the Firewire card in the device manager and only enable it when you need it.

is there no way to permanently solve it?
driver? change pci card? some workaround? key in regedit?
it is not possible that we should disable the device each time :(

I try to disconnect the camera, let's see if it fixes!

thank you infinitely