How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

If I put it in the second slot and that does give it a new IRQ, would placing another card in the first PCIe stay with IRQ 16 or would it use the other?

I have no idea, because I only use 1 card. But it is better to use 1 faster card (GTX570/580).

Is the issue fixed by putting the card into the 2nd slot?

It works when placed in the 2nd PCIe slot. It goes to IRQ 17 and interrupts go down to 7%. When I disable MEI they go away. If I could move the first slot to 17 and the second to 18 life would be great >.< What about the MEI? What else is conflicting with it on IRQ 16?

MEI stands for Intel® Management Engine Interface which belongs to Intel VPro. For home using you can disable it.

To see which other devices use IRQ 16 you can use the device manager in Windows (change the way Windows lists the device under view) or you can run msinfo32 to see the IRQs. I used the etl file to see it. Open the ETL with a double click, go to trace->"System configuration". There you also find a IRQ list. Now use the PNPtab to see what device you see under the IRQ list (under the IRQ list you only see the IDs).

Afraid so, yes, it does still occur. I try uninstalling different USB devices including hubs and controllers in Device Manager but so far I still cannot solve it. Oddly the time taken for the problem to recur following a reboot does not appear to be constant. Sometimes it can be 2-3 hours, sometimes (usually) longer up to a few days. I wonder if there is a loose solder joint on my motherboard or something, but I just can't tell. I did think the internal card reader was the main suspect but still not sure. I have now changed it for a spare one I had laying around (same model) but the problem has still reappeared since so...

I've sort of given up a bit, it was driving me nuts and taking up lots of time so I have just let it go and decided to just put up with the occasional reboot (on average a couple of days I suppose).

I thought about it the last week and I have no real idea. Ask cluberti again if he has a new idea, otherwise contact the support :blushing:

MEI stands for Intel® Management Engine Interface which belongs to Intel VPro. For home using you can disable it.

To see which other devices use IRQ 16 you can use the device manager in Windows (change the way Windows lists the device under view) or you can run msinfo32 to see the IRQs. I used the etl file to see it. Open the ETL with a double click, go to trace->"System configuration". There you also find a IRQ list. Now use the PNPtab to see what device you see under the IRQ list (under the IRQ list you only see the IDs).

Good, I was just going to disable it anyway. I'm going to have to speak with gigabyte about seeing what they can do. I didn't spend the extra $40 on the motherboard to have to use a PCIe x8 and only one card in order to have my 4 cpu cores.

Thanks for all the help magic!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
hi , i have followed ur steps and so far i got stuck at one point , when i enter the command xperf -on latency i get this -xperf:error:NT Kernel Logger: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.<0xb7>. pls tell me if this is what i should see or if i did smth wrong . ty

...btw this seems like it's caused by having resource monitor open before you try running the command.

Hello,

I have been trying to track down an issue where loading webpages is causing stuttering in any auido that is playing, be it a media player or simply a youtube video playing on another window. Happens with IE8, Firefox, and chrome. Process Explorer shows "Interrupts" spike near 100% cpu usage when a link is clicked. Used Xperf per the guide and the table shows ndisinterrruptDpc count vastly above anything else. I updated my drivers with no change. I was checking over IRQs and notice that my nic shares IRQ17 with 2 USB host controllers and a pci-to-pci bridge if that might be an issue. Attaching XPerf table and IRQ sys info. Any advise of what I should try from here would be appreciated.

Vista Ultimate SP2 X64

AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8Ghz stable

8.00 GB ram

MSI motherboard, don't have model#

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Realtek High Definition audio device

post-331510-0-61461000-1314562910_thumb.

post-331510-0-73651400-1314562918_thumb.

I have 18 Mbps cable internet, though I notice that right after a restart it won't do it. Only after its been on for 20-30 minutes.

If I went to purchase a nic card how will I know if it has interrupt capability?

Edit

Actually its a bit faster according to the test:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1454906788.png

It does seem that it got worse with the speed upgrade, previously I had 6Mbps and it was not as bad.

Also, it only happens with web surfing, not FTP, torrent, games or http downloads.

Edited by AtillaMaximum